Beef Stifado – Slimming World Recipe
Our gorgeous KayCee is in Greece at the moment with her best friend so I thought I’d share this Greek recipe for Beef Stifado that I found on Slimming World.
1.5 syns per serving
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 570ml beef stock
- 450g stewing steak, fat removed and cubed
- 1 level tbsp tomato puree
- 170ml red wine
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp each cumin seeds and cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 450g pickling onions
- Juice of ½ lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Put the onions, garlic and 284ml/1/2 pint of the stock in a large flameproof casserole, cover and bring to the boil. Boil for 5-10 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes, until the onions are tender and golden.
- Add the cubed beef and cook over low heat, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Stir in the tomato puree, red wine, vinegar and herbs and the remaining stock.
- Tie the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon stick in a piece of muslin and place in the dish. Cover and cook in a preheated oven at 170°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3 for 2-21/2 hours.
- Peel the pickling onions and blanch in boiling water for 1 minutes. Drain and add to the casserole 1 hour before the end of cooking.
- Remove the herbs and spice bag from the casserole. Add the lemon juice and seasoning. Serve sprinkled with coriander.
Tip: If you’re enjoying an Extra Easy SP day, serve with at least half a plate of Speed Free Foods. In our recipe video, we’ve served it with mashed carrots mixed with 1 tsp ginger and 1 tsp honey.
For more recipe posts, click here