We decided to have our curried veggie burger without the burger bun and served it with Slimming World chips and a side salad.
Not everyone enjoyed it (KayCee and Ella!) but that was ok because it meant there was some leftover for my lunch the next day!
This recipe is great for vegans. You can learn more about the benefits of not eating meat in essays on vegan diet. I hope that over time, more people will begin to devote time to a healthy diet. This will prevent many diseases.
Curried Veggie Burger with Chips
1.5 syns per serving
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- ½ red pepper
- 1-2 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 x 400g can of butter beans, drained
- 110g sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 60g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg, beaten (or vegan egg substitute)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 900g Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C Fan/Gas Mark 9.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Peel and coarsely grate the carrot
- Deseed and finely chop the pepper
- Place onion, carrot and peppers in a pan with the curry powder and 150ml water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Mash the beans with a fork or blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Stir in the sweetcorn, vegetables, breadcrumbs, egg and seasoning. Shape into 8 burgers, cover and chill until required.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1cm thick chips.
- Place in a pan of lightly salted boiling water and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and set aside for 10 minutes to dry.
- Return the chips to the pan, cover and shake to ”rough up” the edges – this helps make them crisp.
- Spray a baking tray with Frylight, add the chips, spray again and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden.
- Arrange the burgers on a foil-lined grill rack, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and place under a medium/hot grill for approximately 5 minutes on each side until golden.
- Share the chips and burgers between 4 plates. Sprinkle with coriander to serve.
For more recipes, click here
Recipe from Slimming World