It’s been an eventful week in the Ashmore household and I have to say we have a wonderful NHS.
On the 6th July, I was volunteering at St Barnabas charity shop. While bending to pick up some books my back went. It was the same pain I had when I first got a slipped disc about 18 years ago.
I haven’t been able to work at the charity shop, do the weighing at Slimming World or clean for my mother-in-law this week because I’ve had to walk using walking sticks and I haven’t been able to stand up straight until today.
On my birthday last Thursday, we were on our way to my mother-in-law’s and decided to look in on my father-in-law as he’d sounded funny when he’d spoken to Ant at 7.30 am
It’s a good job we did check on him; he wasn’t his usual self so Ant rang 111. After some questions, they decided to send an ambulance out for him.
They soon decided to take him to the hospital and he’s been there ever since. Ant has spent most of his days going back and forth to the hospital. He doesn’t like to leave his dad alone for long because he keeps getting confused.
Trip To A&E With Ella
Last night Ella’s friend came to have a sleepover. They’d both spent the day at another friend’s house and came home around 8.30 pm.
They wanted to go in the pool for half an hour before getting ready to sleep outside on the covered patio.
Ella tried to fill the chlorine tablet holder up and she got the tablet tub too close to her face. As it opened a waft of chlorine fumes was released and she accidentally breathed it in. She dropped the tub straight away and started a coughing fit.
Ant got her outside and tried to get her to breathe the fresh air in but she couldn’t do anything for coughing.
It took about 20 minutes for the coughing to subside a little. I was getting worried so we decided to take her to A&E just to be on the safe side.
Wonderful NHS – Brilliant Staff
We didn’t have too long a wait at A&E and all the staff were brilliant. They made sure they told us everything that was happening or was going to happen and they were very thorough.
Everyone was really friendly and put our minds at ease. The doctors got in touch with the poisons centre to make sure they were giving Ella the right treatment.
After being seen by a nurse and a doctor in A&E we were taken to the children’s ward. They wanted to monitor her until 4 hours had passed from when it happened at 9 pm.
The doctors and nurses did lots of checks and decided to send us back to A&E to have her eyes checked and bathed because they were a bit sore and itchy.
They put some drops in her eyes to numb them before putting some dye in them so the doctor could check there wasn’t any damage. When that was done a nurse washed her eyes with a litre of saline on each eye. Ella was brilliant throughout.
Back To Ward
It was after 1am by the time we got back to the ward. Her cough was getting better and she was nearly back to her normal self. The doctor said she could stay until morning so they could keep an eye on her cough if we wanted but he was also happy to let us take her home.
He said that if her cough got worse or she had trouble breathing we could take her straight back to the ward.
Finally, Home At 2.30 am
We finally got home and everyone went to bed. I was overtired and couldn’t sleep so had to read for a while. It was about 3.30 when I finally fell asleep.
I didn’t wake until 9.30 this morning and I still feel absolutely shattered!
All’s well that ends well, as they say, thanks to our wonderful NHS 🙂 I’m really very thankful that we have our National Health Service