Chocolate Hearts – Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes
Welcome to day 7 of my Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes. Today’s recipe is for Chocolate Hearts. These chocolate hearts are very pretty and would make a nice homemade gift 🙂
Tomorrow’s recipe is for Cinnamon & Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 225g softened butter
- 280g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 food colouring pastes
- 100g plain chocolate broken into pieces
- Place the butter and half the sugar into a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy then beat in the egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and salt into the mixture and stir until combined. If the dough feels too sticky, work a little more flour into it until it doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Halve the dough, shape into balls and wrap in clingfilm. Put in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Unwrap the dough and roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper.
- Cut out the cookies using a heart-shaped cookie cutter and place them on the baking sheet, placed well apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until firm.
- Leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, divide the remaining sugar among four small plastic bags or bowls. Add some food colouring paste to each and rub in well until mixed. Wear a plastic glove if mixing in bowls to protect your hands from getting stained.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, set the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water and heat until melted. Leave to cool slightly.
- Leave the cookies on the racks. Spread the melted chocolate over them and sprinkle with the coloured sugar.
For more recipes on Shell Louise, click here