Reindeer Cookies – Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes
Welcome to day 6 of my Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes. Today’s recipe is for Reindeer Cookies. The perfect cookies to go with yesterday’s Santa cookies!
Tomorrow’s recipe is for Chocolate Hearts.
- 10 cardamom pods
- 100g softened butter plus extra for greasing
- 55g caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- finely grated rind of one orange
- 225g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 25g cornflour
- 90g icing sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- red food colouring
- 25 edible silver balls
- Crush the cardamom pods lightly in a pestle and mortar and discard the shells.
- Grind the cardamom seeds to a powder. Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl with a whisk until creamy, then gradually beat in the egg, orange rind and cardamom powder.
- Sift together the flour, cornflour and baking powder into the mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to form a soft dough.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease 2 baking sheets.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured work surface to 3mm thick. Cut out shapes using a reindeer shaped cutter and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Re-knead and re-roll the trimmings and cut out more shapes until all the dough is used up.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until just golden. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. *Spoon 2 tablespoons of the mixture into a separate bowl and colour it with red food colouring
- Spoon the rest of the icing into a piping bag fitted with a fine nozzle and pipe antlers, hooves, collar and a saddle in white icing on the cookies.
- Pipe a nose using red icing. For the eye, fix a silver ball using a blob of icing.
* We used mini chocolate beans stuck on with a blob of white icing instead
For more recipes on Shell Louise, click here