Santa Sugar Cookies – Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes
Welcome to day 5 of my Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes. Today’s recipe is for Santa Sugar Cookies. KayCee baked the cookies and had a go at icing them but she wasn’t impressed with her icing skills. I had a go and mine weren’t any better but nevermind, they taste good and that’s what matters most! Tomorrow’s recipe is for Reindeer Cookies.
Santa Sugar Cookies
- 350g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 115g softened butter plus extra for greasing
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 225g icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp glycerine
- Red and black food colouring
- Grease four baking sheets.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and the caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, 2 teaspoons of the vanilla extract and milk until smooth and then mix in the flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- Cover the dough with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease 2 baking sheets.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick.
- Use a Santa shaped cookie cutter to cut out shapes from the dough.
- Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cool, whisk together the icing sugar, egg white, remaining vanilla extract and glycerine with an electric whisk for 5 minutes until stiff and glossy.
- Colour one third if the icing sugar mixture red and colour 2 tablespoons of the mixture black. Leave the rest of the mixture white.
- Apply the red icing evenly with a small palette knife to create Santa’s hat and pipe eyes in black icing using a fine nozzle.
- Place the white icing in a piping bag fitted with a small star-shaped nozzle to create the fur cuff, eyebrows, moustache and bobble on Santa’s hat.
- Apply the remainder of the icing using a swirling action with a small palette knife to create his beard. Leave to set for a few hours.