Candy Cane Cookies – Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes
Welcome to day 10 of my Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes. Today’s recipe is for Candy Cane Cookies.
Tomorrow’s recipe is for Cinnamon & Caramel Cookies.
Candy Cane Cookies
- 350g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g softened butter plus extra for greasing
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 450g icing sugar
- 135ml lemon juice
- red food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease 3 baking sheets.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the brown sugar.
- In another bowl, beat together the egg, vanilla extract and golden syrup with a fork.
- Pour this mixture into the flour blend and stir to make with a smooth dough, kneading lightly with your hands.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface to about 5mm thick and cut into shapes using a candy cane shaped cutter.
- Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring, using a palette knife, to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cool, mix together 280g of the icing sugar and 75ml f the lemon juice until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the piping bag fitted a very fine nozzle and pipe icing around the edge of the cookies.
- Empty any remaining icing into a small bowl, colour it with the red food colouring and cover with clingfilm.
- Mix the remaining icing sugar with the remaining lemon juice until smooth and runny.
- Spoon this into the centre of each cookie and encourage it to the piped edge to flood each biscuit.
- Allow to set overnight. Spoon the red icing into a piping bag fitted with a very fine nozzle and pipe stripes, dots and twirls over the dry iced cookies.
For more recipes on Shell Louise, click here