German Lebkuchen – Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes
Welcome to the final day of my Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes. Today’s recipe is for one of our favourites to have on the trolley at Christmas, German Lebkuchen 🙂
I hope you’ve enjoyed all the cookie recipes. Merry Christmas and a happy new year from us here, Shell Louise
- 250ml honey
- 175g dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- grated zest of one orange
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50g finely chopped candied orange peel
- 50g finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 egg yolk
- Heat the honey in the saucepan until it begins to bubble.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, egg, rum and orange zest.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder salt and spices into the mixing bowl.
- Stir in the honey mixture and mix until well blended.
- Add the candied orange peel and hazelnuts and chill overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to Gas 5.
- Divide the dough into four portions and work with one portion at a time, keeping the rest chilled.
- Roll out the dough to 0.5cm thick on a heavily floured surface.
- Stamp out 5cm rounds or other shapes and place on baking sheets lined with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the egg yolk with 1 tbsp water and glaze the biscuits.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool on the wire rack.
For more recipes on Shell Louise, click here