Miss Peregrin’s Home For Peculiar Children – Book Review #39

I bought Miss Peregrin’s Home For Peculiar Children and the two other books in the series, for KayCee. She hasn’t read them yet and I needed a change so I’ve borrowed them!

Miss Peregrin’s Home For Peculiar Children

Here’s the blurb from Goodreads:

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow-impossible though it seems-they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

My Thoughts

It was an easy book to read and it kept me wanting to turn the pages which is always a good sign.
I like the vintage style photos of Miss Peregrin and all the peculiar children even though some of them are a bit creepy!

I’ve moved straight on to Hollow City and was pleased to see it started right where this one left off. I sometimes get fed up with having to read parts I already know because the author is doing a recap of the first book for any readers who haven’t read it.

Miss Peregrin's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs Book Cover

Goodreads 2018 reading challenge 39 books read

MamaMummyMum

For more book-related posts, click here

I’m taking part in Blogtober18 with Mandi at Big Family Organised Chaos but, I’m using my own prompts this year. Mandi’s prompt for today is All About Me so here’s the link for my Blogtober16 post, All About Me! Not much has changed!

1. Jaymee 4th October 2018 at 4:59 pm

Sounds like a great book! I too thought it was just a film!

2. mumjd 2nd October 2018 at 11:21 am

I haven’t read this or seen the film, but sounds like one I’d enjoy #readwithme

3. Stressed Rach 1st October 2018 at 9:57 pm

I’ve read all of these and really enjoyed them. It is a shame that they mixed the characters around in the film. #Blogtober18

1. shelllouise 2nd October 2018 at 7:35 am

I’d forgotten that they did that. I only saw the film once and it was ages ago. I was thinking about watching it again but I think I’ll give it a miss now because it might annoy me!

4. StressedMum (@stressedmum01) 1st October 2018 at 3:01 pm

I have not read any of this series (neither has my Daughter) does sound like a great book to read #Blogtober18

1. shelllouise 2nd October 2018 at 7:37 am

I bought the set for my daughter but she took too long to start reading them so I read them first. She’s still not started reading them yet!

5. Kim Carberry 1st October 2018 at 2:26 pm

Ahh! I didn’t know this was a book. I thought it was just a film.
    It sounds like a great story x

1. shelllouise 2nd October 2018 at 7:39 am

I enjoyed the film so was eager to read the book when I found out there was a book! xx

6. Bec @IshMotherBec 1st October 2018 at 2:18 pm

I’ve heard of this book before but didn’t realise how creepy it was! It doesn’t sound like my kind of book but definitely a good one for people who like a scare! #ReadWithMe

1. shelllouise 2nd October 2018 at 7:43 am

It was a bit creepy in places but I’m a big Stephen King fan so I’m used to worse than this!

7. Tina @ girlsgospel.com 1st October 2018 at 12:44 pm

I’ll be reading this as soon as I get a chance! #blogtober18

1. shelllouise 2nd October 2018 at 7:41 am

I hope you enjoy it 🙂 xx

8. MotherGeek 1st October 2018 at 12:44 pm

oooh this has been on my to read list for ages! Sounds like a fab spooky book perfect for October #blogtober18

1. shelllouise 2nd October 2018 at 7:40 am

It’s a great series for reading at this time of year. A bit creepy but not too much!

9. hexmum 1st October 2018 at 11:11 am

Thanks for joining in, my eldest has this set of books, so I may give them a go, well done on being 6 books ahead of schedule, this sounds like a great challenge, must remember to give it a go next year.

1. shelllouise 1st October 2018 at 5:04 pm

I love the Goodreads challenge, this is my third year doing it. I love reading but when life got too busy it was one of the first things I stopped doing. Now I make sure I find time to read every day 🙂

10. Chantelle Hazelden (@MamaMummyMum) 1st October 2018 at 11:02 am

I bought this boxset last year and I’ve yet to pick it up, so many books so little time for reading! #readwithme

1. shelllouise 1st October 2018 at 11:30 am

We all know that problem!
      A fourth book is being released tomorrow, it’s called A Map Of Days. I have it on pre-order at Amazon 🙂

11. Catherine @ Story Snug 1st October 2018 at 10:34 am

I think I’ve heard about this book before, is it an older story? The blurb sounds really intriguing, I hope you enjoy the second one :o)

#ReadWithMe

1. shelllouise 1st October 2018 at 11:32 am

I think it’s about 5 years old. They made a film of this book as well. Not sure if they’re going to make the others into films.