Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
Caramel apple upside cake
I had a really hard time resisting this caramel apple upside down cake. It was totes delish as the husband would say!
Ingredients for the topping
Butter – 50g
Sugar – 100g
Ground cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
3-4 eating apples, peeled and sliced
Ingredients for the cake
Self raising flour – 220g
Butter – 220g
Sugar – 220g
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4
Grease a cake tin
For the caramel
- Put the butter, sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir well until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into a greased cake tin and spread evenly over the bottom.
- Arrange the apple slices evenly on the caramel
For the cake
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl
- Whisk the eggs then add them slowly to the butter and sugar mixture, beating the mixture well.
- When all the egg has been added, add the flour and fold in gently with a metal spoon
- Pour the cake mixture over the apple and caramel
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into the middle of the cake.
- Serve on its own, hot or cold with custard or ice cream
While everyone was eating their cake, I was resisting by cleaning the kitchen. Ant brought this piece in to show me. I thought he’d made it by using his spoon to make the mouth but he assures me that’s how it was! He noticed it just before he was going to eat it!