How does your garden grow? – Waterfall problems

Waterfall Problems

We’ve worked really hard in the garden this week and I’m happy to say things are looking better. We had waterfall problems again and Ant dismantled it for a third time because he thought it still had a leak. Fingers crossed that’s the last time he’ll have to take it apart because it looks really nice the way it is now.

Waterfall problems

The pond water has gone green again so we’ve put some barley straw in. Hopefully, it’ll soon help it clear. We need to get some water lilies because the leaves help shade the water and stop it going green.

Waterfall and pond

He’s also dismantled the stream again due to the same problem and rebuilt it on Tuesday. We just need to get a nice stone to replace the broken slab that’s currently covering the sump and the stream will be perfect 🙂

Waterfall, pond and stream

Plant Shopping

I spent a lovely morning at B&Q on Tuesday, picking plants to put in my pots.

Pink flowering plants

New dahlia plants

New plants

Lily plants

I was sick of seeing the ivy in the square stone pots. It was all that was left of the winter pots I did a few years ago. The Christmas tree we bought last year wasn’t doing very well in the big pot we put it in. I decided I’d rather use the pot for something nicer than a dying tree so that pot got a makeover as well.

Dying Christmas tree

Arch and steps before

I really enjoyed filling all the pots but the effect was lost due to the grass under the arch being overgrown and very messy. It can’t be mown because I’ve planted some sweet peas and didn’t want to damage them so I spoke to Ant and came up with another solution.

Arch and steps after

The grass was removed and weed matting put down. The slab was laid (with Ant’s help!) on the sand and the sides were covered with gravel.
I absolutely love it 😀

While moving some old carpet and stuff, I found this little fella. Hopefully, he’ll come and use the pond next year 🙂

Toad on the grass

Planter with lilies, dahlias and ivy

Planter with lilies, dahlias and ivy

Planter with daisies

Planters with pink flowers

Garden and archway

The border needs digging because it’s been taken over by weeds. The 72 perennials I’ve ordered from Van Muewen. need planting. They only cost a tenner plus three pounds something post and packaging! 🙂

1. Sarah-Louise Bailey 25th June 2015 at 10:07 pm

Oh my goodness your garden is beautiful – I love your pond and water fountain! x

2. Vai Chin 25th June 2015 at 5:19 pm

Your garden looks amazing, especially the water feature. Love how neat the lawn edge is.

3. Globalmouse 25th June 2015 at 12:53 pm

Gosh that's so impressive – I love your garden and wish I was a bit ore green-fingered!

4. pinkoddy 24th June 2015 at 4:42 pm

It looks lovely and I am very jealous. It takes me all my energy to remove some of my weeds and then they just come back again 🙁

5. Jen Walshaw 24th June 2015 at 1:35 pm

Wow your garden is really coming along. It is looking amazing. well done.

6. Kara Guppy 24th June 2015 at 12:51 pm

You have such a lovely garden – really need to sort mine

7. beautyqueenuk 24th June 2015 at 12:27 pm

OOh it looks lovely, I would love the waterfall and pond too x

8. lisa prince 24th June 2015 at 10:31 am

wow lovely i would love to ave a rockery water featur in ours , we dont have any grassed area but we do have some planting on the edges x

9. Sonia 23rd June 2015 at 7:27 pm

It's looking lovely, love the waterfall and pond. I'd love a water feature in our garden 🙂

10. Kate Thompson 23rd June 2015 at 5:32 pm

You've been really busy – I love your pond! We have just grown our first raspberries, which feels like a real achievement!

11. Erica Price 23rd June 2015 at 5:27 pm

Your water feature is great – must have taken a lot of work.

12. Amanda Masters 23rd June 2015 at 11:11 am

The stream and pond are looking great, fingers crossed you wont need to tinker with them any more.
    You picked up some gorgeous plants, lovely pops of colour

13. Jibber JabberUK 22nd June 2015 at 9:17 pm

Oh you have been busy in the garden. The water feature looks great so I hope it behaves itself so you can keep enjoying it throughout the summer.

14. thechickendoesjoburg 21st June 2015 at 9:31 am

the pond is looking fab and the waterfall so pretty, here's hoping you dont have to fix anymore leaks. the sweet pea arch looks great with the additional stepping stones and gravel

15. Catherine @ Growing Family 21st June 2015 at 6:58 am

Oh I love your waterfall and stream – so lovely for you but also great for wildlife. Like you I ordered a huge quantity of perennial plug plants earlier this year – brilliant for filling gaps in the garden but as usual I've ordered way too much and am now offering little plants to anyone who'll listen!

16. Gemma 19th June 2015 at 10:23 pm

Your waterfall and stream area is great – that must be very peaceful to listen to on sunny days in the garden. You've bought some nice plants for your pots too 🙂

17. Kriss MacDonald 18th June 2015 at 9:33 pm

Brilliant having a little stream in your garden! Looks so lovely with all your plantings.

18. Jean 18th June 2015 at 7:16 pm

Your garden's looking great, love the makeover of the archway steps!