7 Tips for Gardening in the Summer

With summer seemingly just about here, many people will be
heading out into the garden to give it the attention it’s probably been crying
out for during the more inclement weather. With that in mind, here are some top
tips for gardening during the nicer weather the summer (hopefully) has to
offer…
Gardening in the summer
Water, water everywhere
This might be obvious, but if it’s hot then you need to keep
the water flowing to stop everything from drying out. Water once a day if you
can, or try and set up some kind of sprinkler system to ensure your garden gets
the water it needs. Try installing a rainwater tank to make the most of any
rain that does fall. If the water supply is low then water deeply and occasionally
so you don’t run out. There are some more great tips on watering during summer here.
Water in the morning
Watering in the morning when it’s a little cooler will not
only ensure your garden has enough water during the hotter parts of the day,
but it also reduces the chance of mildew and other fungi building up as it
gives the water a chance to dry out by the end of the day.

watering the garden

Keep the lawn long
It might be tempting to keep the lawn as short as possible,
especially as it can grow quite a lot over the summer, but it’s actually better
if you let it grow a little, cutting it on the longest setting on your mower.
It will wear better and will also suppress weeds from developing.
Don’t do your hard work in the midday sun
Again, this might sound obvious but try to avoid doing all the hard work during the hottest parts of the day. For example, if you’re going to try something audacious like this amazing hedge design then you could end up sunburnt and dehydrated. Maybe try and do some work in the shade during those hours or limit your gardening to simple tasks. And don’t forget to wear suncream!
Look after new plantings
Anything new that you plant, particularly new vegetables,
might not be used to the sun, so it’s best to give them a little protection to
harden them up. Give them a little shade using foliage or shade cloths and
they’ll soon get used to the extra sun.
Look out for pests
Summer can bring about a host of new pests into your garden,
so keep an eye out for anything new you haven’t seen before. Warm and wet
weather brings out all sorts of pests, so be vigilant. This is a great resource for identifying pests and diseases in your garden.

pruning plants

Work to increase shade

Whilst you want your garden to get some sun, you also need
to ensure it gets enough shade or it could dry out. Put up fencing or
trellis-work to provide some shade or even shade cloths and sails. You could
also try planting large plants or even trees to provide more shade for lower
lying plants.

This is a sponsored post

1. 5 Easy To Grow Summer Bedding Plants - Shell Louise 15th June 2019 at 11:15 am

[…] may not feel like it at the moment, but Summer really is on the way. You can tell by the trays and trays of bedding plants outside supermarkets […]

2. Keri-Anne 29th June 2014 at 9:02 pm

I love gardening and cannot wait until our garden is sorted out so i can get out there and plant and care for them. lovely tips x

3. Lori Taylor Arnold 28th June 2014 at 8:26 pm

I always remember my mum telling me to water the plants in the morning in the summer! x

4. Sarah-Louise Bailey 27th June 2014 at 11:41 pm

Some lovely tips – I don't feel like I have spent enough time in the garden this year. x

5. Globalmouse 26th June 2014 at 10:09 pm

I feel so bad, I have totally neglected my garden…although it's raining now so it will be happy! Thank you for the tips!

6. Cass@TheDiaryofaFrugalFamily 25th June 2014 at 6:37 pm

Thanks for the brilliant tips – I really MUST get on with my garden x x

7. lisa prince 25th June 2014 at 5:35 pm

my first tip is actually getting out there dont think ive ever really been intersted since about 10 years ago x

8. Agata Pokutycka 25th June 2014 at 12:52 pm

Great tips, thank you.
    I had no idea that lawn shouldn't be cut short 🙁

9. Michelle Ordever 25th June 2014 at 9:31 am

My hubs does get a bit lawn cutting happy – and then wonders why it goes a bit crap in the sunshine!!

10. Kirsty Hijacked By Twins 25th June 2014 at 7:12 am

Great tips, we love being in the garden. I'll show the hubby these tips later especially the grass one! He won't feel as bad that it sometimes gets long! x

11. Fozia S 24th June 2014 at 10:34 pm

I never realised about watering in the morning either…I usually do it in the evening when the sun is setting!
    Some great tips thanks

12. You Baby Me Mummy 24th June 2014 at 10:27 pm

Ooh I didn't realise you should water in the morning. I usually water in the afternoon, but what you say makes sense x

13. pinkoddy 24th June 2014 at 9:41 pm

I need to do our garden. Thanks for the tips – I didn't know that about watering in the morning.

14. Victoria MyLittleLBlog 24th June 2014 at 8:57 pm

i hate garening, but its something which we have to do in a rented property, thanks for sharing tips

15. Vai Chin 24th June 2014 at 8:46 pm

Very handy tips. I really need to apply some to my garden. It is in need of tlc.

16. Kara Guppy 24th June 2014 at 8:25 pm

I always water the plants in the evening and wondered why they were suffering. Thanks for the tips!

17. Mums do travel 24th June 2014 at 8:13 pm

Good tips, thank you. I never know what to do with our garden!

18. wendy 24th June 2014 at 7:24 pm

Very practical tips. I have just managed to grow some shots which will hopefully turn into flowers 🙂

19. Zena Goldman 24th June 2014 at 6:59 pm

Great tips, I really have no idea when it comes to gardening