We were going to try making a board game for this week’s bake off challenge. We ran out of time, again, and decided to make fortune cookies instead.
They’re fun and we’ve never made them before so it was more of a challenge.
Last Week Kaycee made Cherry Cake but Ant’s having to make the fortune cookies this week due to time constraints.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 100g plain flour
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 100g caster sugar
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment
- Write out fortunes on paper that has been cut to 6cm long and 1cm wide
- In a bowl, put the egg whites, vanilla and almond extracts, oil and 2 tsps of water and mix with hand mixer until frothy
- Put the flour, cornflour, sugar and a pinch of salt into another bowl
- Sift into the egg mixture and whisk together until it's smooth
- Chill for 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 180/160 fan/Gas 4
- Put a tablespoon of the mixture onto the the prepared baking sheet
- Oil the back of a spoon and use it to smooth out the mixture until it is around 8-10cm
- Repeat so you have 2 cookies on the tray
- Make sure to leave plenty of space between them because they will spread
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edge of the cookies turn golden
- Remove them one at a time using a palette knife
- They need to still be soft so you can shape them. You need to work quickly
- Turn the cookie over and place it face down. Put the fortune in the middle
- Fold the circle in half and seal the edges by pinching them together
- Put the cookie on the rim of a glass or cup and pull down the 2 corners to create the fortune cookie shape
- Hold for 10 seconds then put in a muffin tin to help them hold the shape while they cool
- Repeat with the remaining cookie mixture
Here are some of the fortunes Ant put in the cookies. I did wonder whether he was going to write out some Tim Vine jokes and put those in. He has a Tim Vine joke book with lots of cheesy jokes that make the girls groan!
He decided to Google some fortunes and print them out instead to make life easier. I have to mention that we have a new printer. It’s a wifi printer and he was excited that he was able to print from his phone!