Simple Ways to Secure Your Home
No matter where you live, unfortunately, there will always be a risk of theft or burglary. But the thing is, burglars can strike each day across the country, so home security is something that should be a top priority for all. So to help you to make your home secure as possible, so that you can then get back to the ‘making pretty’ part of taking care of your home, here are some of the things that you need to be doing to make sure that you have a home that is as secure and safe as possible.
Would you believe that 34% of intruders or burglars do just walk straight through your door? They do! So make sure that you are doing all that you can to prevent them from doing just that. Start off by checking and inspecting all of your doors and door frames, to make sure that even things like hinges are protected, and that someone couldn’t reach through the letterbox to open the door. Some things to check are:
- Think about installing a deadbolt.
- Add a strike plate to the door frame to prevent damage from force.
- If you’re able, upgrade to smart locks and also consider installing anti-snap cylinders to your door, as they can help to protect your home against lock-snapping, which is something that criminals can take advantage of.
- Improve security with a video doorbell, so they know they are being watched and recorded.
Let There Be Light
Burglars, intruders, and criminals don’t want to be caught, obviously. So one way to deter them from your property is to make sure that the outside of your home is well-lit. Have lights by doors, especially motion sensor ones that will come on when someone approaches, as well as along pathways, and near garages. It will put them off if there is a risk of being spotted. You could think about:
- Being eco-friendly with your lights and choosing solar-powered lights.
- Put lights, both indoors and outdoors, on a timer. Then you can make sure that they will be on at certain times during the night or day, whether you’re home or not.
All homes should have a security system in place to help keep the home safe. There are plenty of options to choose from, such as fully integrated systems that are connected to the police, to things that you can buy and install yourself. So there is something for every need and budget. It can be worth weighing up the options of what you need from your home security system, as blocks of flats may need less than others, as there is already an added layer of security through the buzzer door system.
It can be worth looking up the crime statistics in your local area too, as that could give an indication of what you’re looking at, and how ‘heavy duty’ things need to be. All different things to be thinking about, so it is really important.
This is a collaborative post