How does your garden grow? July 25th

Before I tell you how the garden’s growing this week, I have to introduce you to my new little friend. Apparently, she told Ant that her name is Arietty Clock! She first came to visit a few weeks ago and since then she’s shown up most days 🙂

You can just see my feet in the photo either side of the path. Arietty always comes this close to me when I’m working on the path and eats the bugs I unearth when I’m digging!

She’s so lovely but every time she visits she stops me working because I just want to sit and watch her!

Talking of working, I had the girls home at the weekend so I wasn’t able to go to Nanny’s then on Monday I spent the day at home, catching up on laundry, cleaning etc and on Tuesday it chucked it down all day!
Suffice it to say, I haven’t got much more of the path done. I was hoping to get it finished this week but there’s no rush.

I have the borders to dig over when the path’s done. I’m going to save as many plants as I can but there’s going to be loads of room for more plants so I sowed some seeds in trays and got Granddad to fetch a small plastic greenhouse to keep them in. They’ll be over-wintered in the cold frame and planted out next spring.

Ant’s done all the painting on the summer house and is making a start on the little wooden porch and railing he’s going to be adding.
The grass seed is doing brilliantly! We’re really pleased with how fast it started growing. It was grass seed specially for shaded areas and it was from B&Q in case anyone’s interested 🙂

In my own garden I’ve been trying to keep the grass watered to stop it from going all yellow. It’s not doing too bad, we only have a few dead patches now.
The lily buds are huge and I expect them burst open any day now. I can’t wait, I’m so excited to see the beautiful blooms.

The butterfly bush the kids bought me for my birthday last year has started blooming. I’m really pleased because a few times it’s looked a little sad and droopy and I didn’t think it was going to last the year.

1. Jean (notsupermum) 27th July 2013 at 7:01 pm

I love the path, and the summer house looks very pretty. It's all looking lovely.

2. dragonsflypoppy 26th July 2013 at 10:59 am

I love your curved path, it's so pretty. You're doing so well I hope you're proud of yourself – great job xx

3. Rollercoaster Mum 26th July 2013 at 1:14 am

I love the story of your little friend and that path is looking amazing.

1. shelllouise 26th July 2013 at 7:59 am

She is rather lovely 🙂 It's turning into a great garden to see wildlife. There are dragonflies, butterflies, frogs and toads; I'm loving working there!

4. DeniseinVA 25th July 2013 at 10:48 pm

I'm very impressed, your new path looks amazing. Great photos of your garden!

1. shelllouise 26th July 2013 at 7:57 am

Thank you 🙂 I think I surprised myself with how well the path has gone down seeing as I'd never done anything like it before! I always left that kind of work to Ant but it's great to know I can do it myself now 🙂

5. Sara Murray 25th July 2013 at 6:17 pm

The path is looking great, and I love the summer house 🙂

1. shelllouise 26th July 2013 at 7:56 am

Thank you 🙂 Ant started work on the porch for the summer house yesterday. I'm really excited to see it all painted and fitted!

6. Kathleen Scott 25th July 2013 at 4:32 pm

The path really looks like it is coming along well. The parts that are done look fantastic.

1. shelllouise 26th July 2013 at 7:55 am

Thank you 🙂 It's been a very rewarding project but I have to say, I'm not sad that it's nearly done because it's backbreaking work!

7. Katie 25th July 2013 at 3:38 pm

It's all coming along well by the looks of things!

1. shelllouise 26th July 2013 at 7:54 am

It's getting there slowly! Even though I'm eager to see it all finished, I'm trying to take it easy and enjoy the process 🙂

8. The Reading Residence 25th July 2013 at 1:04 pm

That butterfly bush is gorgeous – I now want one of those! And the windy path and summerhouse look brilliant. As you say, no rush, and the sun's coming out a bit again now, so hopefully you'll make a little more progress 🙂

1. shelllouise 26th July 2013 at 7:53 am

I got all the bricks down on the path yesterday so all I have to do today is get the middle sections filled with stones 🙂 I then have to start work on the path around the play area but we're thinking of doing a different design which will take a lot less time to do!

9. Lil Muse Lily 25th July 2013 at 10:45 am

that summer house is a girl's dream!! love butterfly bush. it is so beautiful!

1. shelllouise 26th July 2013 at 7:51 am

I know, I'd have loved one when I was little! I can't wait to get it all decorated 🙂

10. Nichola fabfortymum 25th July 2013 at 10:14 am

oh I love your new friend, she is very beautiful and I don't blame you being distracted by her. The garden is looking fantastic and the summer house is gorgeous, great colour choice. Your Butterfly bush looks so beautiful x

1. shelllouise 26th July 2013 at 7:50 am

She is lovely! She didn't come to see me yesterday when I went to do more work on the path. I'm there again today and I'm keeping my fingers crossed she pops by!

11. helvetiahandmade 25th July 2013 at 10:04 am

Lovely path! i love that it is wiggly and made of old bricks. The lily will be lovely, cant wait to see that when it opens – do you know the colour?

1. shelllouise 25th July 2013 at 10:13 am

For some reason the first colour that I thought of was white with dark pink inside but I just went back to a post I did last year with a photo of them on and the lilies are white with a light yellow streak in them 🙂