Browsing Tag:

Deed poll

Looking to Change Your Child’s Name in the UK? Read This

girl blowing bubbles - changing your child's name
Image by Daniela Dimitrova from Pixabay
This is a collaborative post

There can be situations where you might need help changing the surname of your child. While a name change process may sound simple, it isn’t. 

But don’t fret, we’ve got you covered. You’ll find all the details regarding a name change for children in the UK. 

Take a look. 

Informal Name Change

To change your child’s name, you can simply start using their new name, doing away with the legal paperwork. Although you don’t have to change the name in writing, it may be useful. 

Moreover, you can change the name of your child at any time, provided it does not deceive or defraud anyone.

Is Consent Required?

While you can call your child by another name on a daily basis, you will need to get the consent of the other parent or someone with parental responsibility if the change is to be formalized in the future. 

Schools and other organizations might not allow your child to use the new name unless formally changed. Moreover, your child’s other parent can take legal action against you if they don’t agree with the name change, regardless of whether it is formal or informal. 

Also, if your child is in regular contact with their other parent, it is best to reach an agreement about the name change. Keep in mind that different names can cause confusion and upset the children.

Formal Name Change

The statutory declaration method

It is an official confirmation that a person intends to change their name and wants to request a new name. The statutory declaration is evidence of a name alteration, but it does not change the birth certificate name. 

So, you will need to present the birth certificate of your child and the statutory declaration to name change if you want to prove your child’s identity. Only certain circumstances can change birth certificates.

Moreover, you can change the name of your child again in the future if you do it by making a statutory declaration. 

A majority of organizations will accept a formal declaration to prove a name change. They will also amend their records to reflect your child’s new name. Sometimes a statutory statement is not enough to change details. 

In these cases, a deed poll is required to change the name in official documents such as a passport or driving license.

The Right Way to Get Statutory Declaration

You can seek a solicitor’s help or draft the statutory declaration yourself. You need to sign the document under oath before a solicitor or in court. 

Note that for drafting and signing statutory statements, solicitors and courts both charge a fee. So, it is a good idea to agree on the fees beforehand.

Using Deed Poll For Name Change

A deed poll is legal proof of a name change, but it doesn’t change the name on a child’s birth certificate. So, to prove your child’s identity, you will have to present the deed poll along with your birth certificate if the court asks you to do so. 

It is advisable to check with your solicitor regarding the rules around name changes that involve birth certificates. 

So simply put, a deed poll is usually needed in specific cases when you need to change the name of your child on official documents. Also, check with the passport agency to see what documents and evidence they require to make any changes to your child’s passport details. 

In some cases, they may not be willing to accept a deed poll. Note that you can do multiple name changes using multiple deed polls. 

Final Word

It takes the right information to change your child’s name in the UK. Make sure you understand the information discussed in this article and change your child’s name correctly. 

Everything You Need to Know About Changing Your Name

This is a collaborative post

There are times in everyone’s life where they want to start over with a new identity and new plans. While some plans fall through, others don’t. Many times there are too many reasons a person might consider getting a new name. Like in the case of divorce or separation, a woman would like to get her surname changed or would want to change her entire name. In some cases, a person might want to leave his old life behind and start afresh with a new identity, a new job and probably even a new name.
But thanks to the fast-growing and evolving world, changing your name has become more hassle-free than ever. All you need to get is a deed poll.

Deed Poll: 

A legal binding document that works as a piece of evidence. When you decide to get a new name, the deed poll is that official document you need to fill out to get this process done. It will help you to update your name in all other official and essential documents like your passport, license etc. It states the necessary information like what new name you have decided to go with, and from what date onwards.

How important is it to get a deed poll? 

Changing names is not something you do every day. It is your marked identity. The new name you choose, is now your identity proof that has to be updated in all of your important documents. If you decide to change your anime due to any reason, you need to do it officially, by informing the right authorities and sending out updates to relevant organizations. You must sign the legally binding document and notify certain authorities to get going. 

Image by Michal Jarmoluk from Pixabay

In many cases, when you’re married, your marriage certificate can act as a proof of a new name, but in the case of separation, a deed poll may be needed if you decide to go back to your old name.

Do You Always Need a Deed Poll?

No, you don’t always need a deed poll. In case of marriage, the marriage certificate will act as a legal document for the new name change. If your marriage were finalised in the ion UK, the state would issue a certificate mentioning your old name and the new name. This acts as a legal document. 

In case of separation, you may need a deed poll if your divorce hasn’t been finalised yet. But if you have gone through the divorce, you won’t need a deed poll to switch back to your maiden name. It would help if you had your decree absolute.

How to Apply For a Deed Poll? 

Applying for a deed poll over has become very easy over the years. You can even order one online. 

Start by filling out an online application, and once all the details have been entered, you will be redirected to the payment page. There is a minimal amount for deed poll that you need to pay.

After the completion of payment, your deed poll will be sent to you via post along with any duplicate copies that you might have ordered. 

Once you receive your deed poll, you will need two witnesses to sign the documents along with your signature, stating that you are willingly going ahead with this change. 

Once done with signature, you need to notify important organizations to update your name in all important documents.

The process is relatively seamless and straightforward, and it won’t take much of your time. Make sure you have a list of the official bodies you need to inform and then you’re good to go.

At any point in life, you can go through this change, but you need to be above 18. And in case you’re not, you can ask your parents or guardian to help you with this.