Things To Consider When Buying A Second Hand Car
One of the main reasons people to decide to buy a second hand car is the cost. Used cars are a much cheaper alternative, however, there are things to consider before going ahead with your purchase.
We’ve put together a list of things you need to think about when buying a second hand car.
Second Hand Car Dealers
Second hand cars can be bought privately, through a used cars in hollywood fl dealer or from an auction.
The safest option is to buy from a dealer, however, you need to make sure they’re reliable and trustworthy; look for an established firm that has a good reputation.
Check The MOT History
All vehicles have to have regular MOT tests.
You can easily check the MOT history of any car that has had MOT tests in England, Scotland or Wales since 2005, on the Government website.
With just the number plate details, you will be able to see whether the car passed or failed, when the MOT is next due and the mileage recorded at the time of testing.
Perform A Thorough Inspection
Before you part with your hard earned cash, make sure you check the following:
- Engine – check for leaks, head gasket condition and oil level.
- Gearbox and Clutch – check the biting point of the clutch and the smoothness of the gear change.
- Tyres and Wheels – check the tyre tread depth and look for any defects such as cracking or bulging. Tyres should wear evenly so if there are any instances of excessive wear in a single area it could be down to poor alignment.
- Bodywork – when checking the body work for dents and scratches, don’t forget to check the body work underneath the car.
- Interior – check that the electrics are working and that there are no warning lights on.
If you don’t feel confident making these checks yourself, it’s a good idea to ask a friend or family member to help.
Check What Details The DVLA Hold For The Car
The DVLA has a free online vehicle information checker. You can use this service to check that the details supplied by the seller are the same as the information held by the DVLA.
If there are differences, ask the seller to clarify the information. If you’re at all suspicious, don’t buy the car.
Book A Test Drive
Taking the car for a test drive is a must. A good car dealership will encourage you to take a test drive and won’t hurry you. Be sure to drive until you’ve had a chance to check everything and are happy with the car.
KAP Motors has a wide variety of used cars from different brands like Ford, Fiat etc. Visit our Showroom in Brighton to book a test drive today!
Enjoy Your New Car
When you’re completely happy with the results of all your checks, go ahead and enjoy your new car!
This is a collaborative post