Here’s my February update for my Slimming World journey. I’ve not done as well this month as I did last month, however, I am happy that I haven’t had a gain. I’ve only lost 2.5lb in total in February, but I’ve kept my 4 stone award […]
You’re trying to find the right prom dress. You know what you like, and what you hope to find. All that’s left is to do a little investigating, staying up to date, and discovering what this season looks to bring to the market in trends and fashions. Here are the top prom dress trends for the 2019 season.
- This year, rose gold is everywhere. From accessories to jewellery pieces, the pink/gold combination is here to stay in 2019. Embrace it, especially if you have an affinity for gold necklaces and jewellery. Rose gold accessories will be everywhere this year.
The One Shoulder
- The ‘one shoulder’ look (one strap up, one down the shoulder) can really set you apart and even further define your silhouette and figure. While the one-shoulder look isn’t for everyone, if it is for you, it can really send your outfit into the stratosphere of prom fashion.
- Perhaps one of the best ways to set your look apart is with the glisten and shine of glitter and sequin.
The High Low
- Especially if you can’t decide whether to go high or low, the high low provides you with an escape from making this decision at all. All long prom dress options aside, a solid high low cut can be great, especially if your shoes are a big part of your outfit and deserve a little bit of extra attention on their own.
Satin and Lycra
- Previous years help us in the present moment because they provide a precedent for what has worked in recent years. Now, for the third time in as many prom seasons, the lace-up back in royal and ruby is looking like a favourite to take over the prom dress
The Color Red
- An absolute staple of prom season every single year is the colour red. It’s all about red again this year; deep hues, lycra, ruby in satin, and brighter shades of scarlet. Red is always going to be a great option, and this year is no different, especially considering the fact that your other best colour options this year will probably be yellow and lilac.
- Floral print dresses are also poised to dominate this season. For those who aren’t looking for the shine of metallic lace or the glimmer of shiny fabric or the glisten of rose gold, we recommend trying something with a floral print, covered in flowers, evoking the annals of springtime.
- As mentioned above, the lace-up back is once again here to stay. Highly coveted and consistently received with a combination of mystique and grandeur, go with a lace-up back design and you will be well on your way to a night of splendour.
- 2018 was all about ‘metallic lace’, and it seems as though this trend is going to be carried into 2019 as well.
The Ball Gown
- The ball gown once again takes centre stage in 2019! Ball gowns haven’t always stayed ‘in fashion’, but they are poised to experience another comeback year in 2019, for all those looking for the added elegance of a flowing train.
As you sift through trends and prom dress options, find what you love, and most importantly, if none of the above speak to your sensibility, fashion is all about knowing yourself and trusting your instincts. Trends are more like guidelines, but they don’t always work for everyone. Whatever dress you settle on, remember to have fun and wear it however it fits you best.
This is a collaborative post
I’ve been a Stephen King fan since my teens, but I’ve not read many of his books in recent years. I enjoyed The Outsider and I’ve got a couple more on my TBR list for this year which I’m looking forward to reading.
Here’s the blurb from Goodreads:
When an eleven-year-old boy is found murdered in a town park, reliable eyewitnesses undeniably point to the town’s popular Little League coach, Terry Maitland, as the culprit. DNA evidence and fingerprints confirm the crime was committed by this well-loved family man.
Horrified by the brutal killing, Detective Ralph Anderson, whose own son was once coached by Maitland, orders the suspect to be arrested in a public spectacle. But Maitland has an alibi. And further research confirms he was indeed out of town that day.
As Anderson and the District Attorney trace the clues, the investigation expands from Ohio to Texas. And as horrifying answers begin to emerge, so King’s propulsive story of almost unbearable suspense kicks into high gear.
Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy but there is one rock-hard fact, as unassailable as gravity: a man cannot be in two places at the same time. Can he?
This was quite a long book and I did think it might have been one of SK’s book that was too wordy. Thankfully, it wasn’t and I really enjoyed it.
I think I enjoyed it more once the character, Holly, from the Mr Mercedes trilogy arrived. I’ve only read the first in the series and I totally forgot about it until Holly came along and reminded me.
I’m now itching to read the other 2!
Back to The Outsider, it kept me wanting to pick up the book because I just had to know how the evidence at the crime scene could be so concrete yet Terry’s alibi was also solid.
As usual for SK, there’s an element of the supernatural and as usual, for me, this is what I enjoyed the most!
For more book-related posts, click here
If your house is looking a little sorry for itself then let’s look at some creative and cost-effective ways to polish your home’s design.
Declutter and improve your storage options.
This is one of the simplest ways to polish your home’s design. Simply tidying up your living space costs nothing other than your time, and it can be a chance to get a little more creative and imaginative with the layout of your household. Start off by getting rid of things you no longer want or need; you could even have a yard sale for your old possessions to raise some money that could go towards future renovation projects. Once you’ve reduced your clutter, your home will feel larger and more spacious. This will massively improve its appearance, but there are more than just visual benefits; it’ll create a more practical and comfortable living environment too. As for the rest of your belongings, you can keep your home tidy by storing things smartly. Put up more shelves on the walls, store things under beds, and so on. It’s all about freeing up floor space so that each room feels bigger.
Maintain a pretty and cosy garden.
Another creative and cost-effective way to polish your home’s design is to take better care of your garden. After all, it’s as much a part of your home as any part of its interior. You don’t want to look out of your kitchen and bedroom window to see an overgrown patch of land around the back of your house. Plus, the way your house appears from the front has an impact on your front impression. You should plant some fresh flowers and plants to give both your front and back garden some colour and a vibrant aesthetic. Trimming back shrubbery and mowing the lawn can keep things looking neat and tidy too. Of course, if you struggle to maintain your garden regularly then you might want to look at some artificial lawns for your property. This would remove the need for regular lawn-mowing, but you’d still have a natural and appealing garden space.
Make sure you paint doors, windowsills, and other external woodwork too. Even fences can be brought back to life with a fresh coat of paint. Obviously, repainting things is a very cheap way to spruce up the aesthetic of your household to make it look brand new, but there’s a practical reason to do this too. Regular painting can protect wooden surfaces from the effects of weathering. If you want to stave off the worse outcomes then look after your garden and overall external property by regular maintaining it in terms of its appearance and functionality. A fresh coat of paint can stop rotting, and a light bit of gardening can keep everything looking colourful and neat.
Take the personalised DIY approach.
The best way to save money and make your home look well-designed is to do as much as possible by yourself. There’s nothing wrong with spending a lot of money on trendy new furnishings for your home, but there’s something special about crafting your own pieces of decor. Maybe you could do something as simple as splashing paint on a canvas with your family members so that you have something unique and homemade to hang on the wall. You could also spray chalkboard paint on the inside of cupboard doors so that the kids can draw some creative pictures in there. Or maybe you could chop up some logs to create quirky coffee tables for the house. You just need to think outside the box to polish your home’s design in a personalised and creative way.
This is a collaborative post
Just two days ago I was invited to review a personalised Mother’s Day item from Made and Sent. Today, I’m sitting in my living room enjoying the wonderful fragrance of fig and pomegranate emanating from a lovely candle. The candle has only been burning for around an hour and the gorgeous smell has filled this room and is now making its way up the stairs!
When I first visited the website I was going to order the personalised Mother’s Day Hand Care set for either mine or Ant’s mum, but I’m afraid I ended up treating myself to the candle instead. Everyone knows how much I love scented candles!
The candle arrived wrapped in printed tissue paper with a little sticker that said it had been handmade by Megan. I love getting things wrapped in tissue paper, it just makes it feel like a bit more care has gone into the gift.
The candle itself was also wrapped in tissue paper and came packaged in a lovely cardboard display carton. This was further protected in a bubble wrap pouch.
At this stage, I could have saved it and given it to my mum for Mother’s Day, but I just had to know what it smelled like!
Personalised Mother’s Day Candle
Here are a few reasons why I’m happy to feature this product on my site:
- The order process was very fast and easy.
- You can choose 2 personalised messages to have on your candle.
- Post and packing is free if you’re in the UK.
- Your order will be made and shipped the same day if ordering before 2pm on weekdays.
I ordered my candle on Friday and received it in Saturday’s post. I have to say, I was very impressed with the whole process.
Please note: I was sent the candle in return for a review, however, all opinions are honest and my own.
Your best friend is getting married. This is a cause for a joyous celebration. We’re sure you’re glad to see your girl-friend take the giant step of entering into a committed relationship that will last for a lifetime. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t surprise her with the best bachelorette party there is. This type of party is an excellent chance for female bonding, sharing secrets and a great memory.
It doesn’t matter if you’re the maid of honour or a bridesmaid. Your obligation as a best friend is to give the bride the best time of her life before she ties the knot. You can select any kinds of entertainment, depending on what best suits the guest of honour. Start by planning the location of the event and from then on all the other preparations will follow. You have at your disposal different cities that are known for having the wildest parties ever.
Las Vegas provides the greatest attraction for unforgettable moments and crazy experiences. Turn your best friend’s last night of solitude into an example of those moments. Moreover, if you want to spice things up and make the atmosphere satisfactory, a great idea is to hire exotic male dancers to drive the crowd wild with excitement. A lot of your friends, including the bride, will forever be grateful for the surprise. Here are some tips below that can be helpful in situations involving this type of celebration:
Pick a theme for the party.
Choosing a theme can be challenging, but fun at the same time. An idea will help you to organize more precisely all the preparations that need to be bought or created. For example, if the desired destination is Las Vegas for the bachelorette party, you can incorporate a “Hangover Theme” like the famous movie “Hangover.”
Host a wild Vegas-themed get-together filled with tigers and fun punchlines! Try to pursue the path of the favourite feature by visiting all the places that were shown in the movie and take pictures along the way as well.
Just ensure you have “Headache packs” (adorable marriage sacks loaded up with ibuprofen, tums, a water bottle, bachelorette female mints, lip ointment, and sleeping masks) prepared for the following morning.
Hire male strippers.
You won’t have an opportunity like this often. Additionally, hiring a male stripper is a great strategy to add some eagerness to your friend’s last single lady party. Male strippers are the most engaging, perfect, and extraordinary looking experts in the business, who have the vitality and the best approach to put a smile to a woman’s face.
What woman doesn’t enjoy the perfect physique of an attractive man, dancing only for her? Just be sure that you consult with the bride-to-be about her preferences and wishes so that you incorporate them in the party altogether. Exotic dancers are known for their perfect routine and sensual dancing. Ensure that the attention is often on the bride since it’s her party and she’s the star of the night. Check this link majestymalestrippers.com to find more about the adult entertainment business.
Ensure that the business is legitimate and professional with providing quality and well-trained dancers. This way you’ll be sure that the party will go as planned and without inconveniences. A lot of companies have online references that you can check. Don’t forget to check their reputation either. Any positive feedback guarantees that you’re hiring professionals and not some con artists.
Choose a costume for the strippers.
Strippers usually come disguised to a party and later on reveal themselves as dancers. If the location of the event is in your home, here’s what you can do. Create a situation at the party that will leave your guests surprised and excited. Turn on some loud music and challenge everybody at the gathering to start singing and dancing. Furthermore, inform the strippers to come in via text, and pretend to be real policemen.
They will ring the doorbell and make up a noise complaint from the neighbours. This way you’ll add to the suspense of the party. After getting everyone’s attention, tell the dancers to start stripping. That’s when the fun really begins.
On the other side, if for example, the bride is a professional doctor, then you can arrange that the strippers come in disguised as nurses. More strippers will equal more enjoyment.
Food and drinks
А good way to relax everyone is by offering them drinks and something to eat. Not everyone at first will feel comfortable with a half-naked stranger dancing in front of them. Start warming up the party with some interesting and funny stories about the bride. Then put on some music as the night progresses. This will add up beautifully with the chatting and dining. Meals and mixed drink parties, which give agreeable chances for the guests to talk or to give intimate suggestions to the bride-to-be, are typical. Everyone will start to feel more relaxed and ready for the wild night that follows.
Nevertheless, everyone will end up having a good time. It doesn’t really matter if your friends are more free-spirited or shy. Once you hire professional male dancers, they will make sure that everyone gets an unforgettable experience, especially the bride.
Take the party to a strip club.
Another suggestion for a bachelorette event is strip clubs. Strip clubs are famous for their gorgeous dancers and wild experiences. If the bride wishes to go to a strip club, take your girlfriends there and let them experience the sensual beauty of the performers.
After all, it’s the bride’s final night of solitude and single life. If she wants to spice up the evening with a lap dance from a male stripper, then make her wish come true. One night of harmless fun won’t do any harm. Women usually prefer to go strip clubs in different cities so that anyone could hardly recognize them and badmouth them. There are a lot of wild experiences and make sure that yours is as memorable as well.
This is a collaborative post
You are trying to plan an amazing birthday party for your little one or you want to throw a surprise party for your fiancée, but you don’t know where to start. This happens to all of us. The important thing is to understand your guests and to set up a theme and carry on with the flow. The decor is, in fact, a vital part of any party and leaves a lasting impression on the guests.
Let us now look into some ideas that can make your party decor more appealing and innovative.
- Understand your guests: Guests are the highlight of the party. Are they your friends or co-workers or are they children? Know your invitees and set up the theme accordingly.
- If it is your kid’s birthday party, use bold colours like bright balloons, streamers, cartoon character cut-outs or piñatas with sweets and treats.
- If it is the 50th anniversary of your parents, go for a more sophisticated and classic look. Add a personal touch by displaying pictures of old fond memories and fun days.
- Again, if it is a corporate event, try to keep it more formal and at the same time, your colleagues must be able to relax and enjoy the time.
- Party Occasion: Key to any successful party is to understand the true nature of the occasion.
- If it’s a Christmas party or a new year’s eve, go for seasonal colours like bright red or green. Bring on the festivities.
- If it’s a girl’s birthday party, add colours like pink and white and plan accordingly.
- For a simple friendly get-together, try to keep it simple and focus more on food and the ambience.
- Party Theme: Choose a theme that best suits the occasion. Instead of using general themes explore a little. Use themes that are most popular in the current times. Kids generally like themes based on their favourite cartoon characters. For a simple afternoon tea party, you can arrange a small garden party or if you want a more elegant party try for a vintage look.
- Light up your party: Nobody likes a dull and shabby party. Brighten up the rooms. Add some lights. For your kid’s party, you can use LED balloons. They are quite a hype nowadays. You can also use beautiful candle luminaries or bird luminaries, which can add to the authenticity of the room. Try to accentuate the wall fixtures of the room by adding indirect light. Brighten up the corners with floor lamps or torchieres. You can give a personal touch by using homemade scented candles. They give a mystic look and create a peaceful ambience, especially if you are having a quiet party with your friends. Put enough lights in the dining room area and illuminate the dark corners of your house.
- DIY Decorating Ideas: Bring out the creative side of your mind. There is no need to buy the overpriced decorative items from the shop. You can use your own imagination and give a personal feel to your party. For that crazy Halloween party you are planning for your kid, make some monster headbands or some paper ball bats and hung them around the corners.
Paint your old stuff. Add some colours to the old lanterns and flower vases and give them a new look. Empty glass jars come really handy for DIY purposes. You can paint them, add ribbons, fill it up with candy or even use them for return gifts. You can also make some DIY wooden or paper lanterns and give a rustic look to your party.
- Add some green: Flowers and plants really boost up the energy and create a more tranquil and peaceful atmosphere. You can use a variety of artificial flowers available in the market. Silk floral arrangements can be used as centrepieces. They are available in varieties like silk tulips and roses. Artificial ferns bring the lush green feeling of the forests indoors. They can be anything between hanging planters to decorative bases. An artificial bonsai tree is a replica of the real one and doesn’t need any maintenance and adds meaning to your rooms.
- Return Gifts: Return gifts are a very crucial part of a party especially if you are hosting a birthday party for kids. Be a good host. Plan your return gifts beforehand. Kids gorge on return gifts. They just wait for the party to end so that you can hand them over their presents. The gifts should be apt for their age. Instead of selecting the conventional presents try something which is unique and funky at the same time. Return presents can be handmade as well like homemade chocolates or jewellery boxes for girls.
- Decor Banners: The decor banners highlight the events. You can make hand cut-out banners for birthday parties or make some super fun posters. You can reuse the old ribbons and make a tassel garland and hung them in front of the doors. Easy custom-made “Hello” banners at the entrance can be used to welcome the guests. If it is simply a house party, ask your kids to make some simple DIY banners. This will involve them and also bring creativity and newness to the occasion.
Arranging the perfect party can be nerve-wracking and difficult at times. It can be the budget or it can take up too much of your time. In our busy schedule, it is very important that we choose a decor which can be easily arranged as well as save our time. You should have a clear idea about your theme and try to make it as simple as possible. Remember, that your guests should feel comfortable and homely when they visit your place. It is prudent to invest on decor which can be reused later on and does not cost you a fortune. The true essence of the party lies in your hospitality and warmth.
This is a collaborative post
After reading the second book in the Lewis trilogy, The Lewis Man, I can definitely say I’m a Peter May fan. I saw loads of his books at the charity shop the other day, but I resisted the temptation to buy any because my ‘To Be Read’ pile is already too long!
The Lewis Man
Here’s the blurb from Goodreads:
A body is recovered from a peat bog on the Isle of Lewis. The male Caucasian corpse is initially believed by its finders to be over 2000 years old, until they spot the Elvis tattoo on his right arm.
The body, it transpires, is not evidence of an ancient ritual killing, but of a murder committed during the latter half of the 20th century.
As with The Blackhouse, the story is set in the past and the present day. I had a bit of trouble getting into The Blackhouse because of this, but with this second book, I was expecting and really enjoyed it.
Fin is no longer a detective in this second book, having given up his job in Edinburgh and moved back to the Isle of Lewis.
This time we’re back in Marsaili’s father’s past and it turns out, he’s not the man she always thought he was. He’s now suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia which sees him remembering his past very clearly, but getting very confused and upset in the present.
A body of a young lad is found perfectly preserved in a peat bog and DNA testing reveals he’s related to Marsaili’s father, Tormod Macdonald.
Fin starts his own investigation in order to help Marsaili and starts to uncover deep family secrets.
I’m looking forward to reading the third book of the trilogy, but I’m waiting a few weeks again before I do.
For more book-related posts, click here
A garden is an excellent addition to a home. While it may have been out of use for the winter, spring is on its way and that means you’ll get to enjoy it more as a result. From barbeques to sitting in the sun enjoying a good book, there is nothing like a private piece of land attached to the back of the property.
Unfortunately, yours may be exposed and lack the element of privacy. You’re by no means a secluded person, yet it feels uneasy having to do your thing while the neighbours watch from their windows. You could move but it’s a bit of an over exaggeration. You don’t value your privacy that much!
The good news is that there are basic and simple ways to ensure your garden area is less exposed. That way, you can relax without having to worry about peeping Toms and nosey neighbours. Scroll down to find out more about the tips that will transform your garden.
Create A Screen Of Pots
Don’t worry because there’s no need to glue together a screen made out of stone. What this means is that you can use potted plants to block the view into your garden. All you need to do is to choose bases and flowers that are big and thick and grow to a decent height. Place them near the spots where you feel the most exposed and, hey presto, you’ll have some cover.
People who tend to like this method are those who are on a budget or don’t own their home. Not only are potted plants cheap, but they’re not permanent which makes them perfect for anyone who is renting. And, don’t forget that they add a lot of colour thanks to their deep, vivid hues.
You can even pick off the fruit and eat it if you pick a fruit tree. Due to their height and foliage, they are excellent choices along with bamboo and grasses.
Install A Partition
The obvious option is to put up a fence and block the view for everyone within a five-mile radius. But, there are two problems: the style and the message. As well as being big and ugly, it’s a statement that you don’t want your neighbours peering into your garden. Sadly, it can lead to arguments.
ColourFence garden fencing panels may be able to help if you’re in a pickle. Because they won’t install their products over two metres without planning permission, there is a height restriction. Plus, the different shades and styles should fit into your backyard seamlessly as long as you choose correctly.
But, if a metal fence isn’t your thing, there is an alternative. A faux hedge is a partition that looks real yet doesn’t grow. According to Freshome’s experts, the panelling means there is no need to water, prune or wait for it to take form. This is a great option for those who want a hassle-free natural style.
Hanging fabrics may be the cheapest and most effective option available depending on the layout of your garden. If you have a decking or elevated area, it’s not difficult to use curtains to your advantage. Simply box the area off and install a rail. All you need to do then is attach a piece of cloth and pull it shut when you want your privacy.
To take it to the next level, you can put up a pergola. They are by no means a lavish expensive, plus they are tough to install, yet the result is pretty unique. In the end, you’ll have an outdoor living space with a roof and drapes for some alone time.
You can DIY one if you have the time and energy and want to save money, so check out The Spruce. It has incredible free designs.
Build It Upwards
Rather than putting everything on the floor or at eye level, you can raise the garden. Growing it vertically means that the features will act as blockers and it won’t look unnatural or out of style with the rest of the garden. Plus, it’s straightforward with the right plans.
The key is to make use of hanging baskets and potted plants. The former is simple yet the latter are harder as they need to be stable. So, put up a rack and attach them from a horizontal pole. As always, tall plants and flowers will work perfectly.
In this case, if you build it, no one will come!
Do you have any privacy tips you’d like to share? Feel free to leave them in the comments section.
This is a collaborative post
Is your wedding day not something that you have dreamed of for so so long now? If you’re saying no to this, then you’re very lucky. Because for most of us, our wedding day is the one thing we’ve dreamed about for so long, and we’ve planned every last detail of how we’d like it to go, and what we should look like on the day.
These plans usually start as a teenage girl, and they’re the best plans to make in your head. But what’s the reality of it all, nothing ever turns out the way you want it to be. You might be able to get a few of the details the same, but when you consider the costs of everything, it’s actually a super expensive day, and the fairytale plans you had would cost you an absolute fortune if you were to follow through with it.
But that doesn’t mean to say that you aren’t still going to have one of the best days of your life and that it won’t be filled with so many different magical memories for you to look back on. To make sure that happens, we want to talk about some of the final details that you should be thinking of, that really will be the cherry on top of the cake!
The entertainment is often one of the last things to be thought about when planning a wedding, because typically everything else comes first, such as the wedding dress and the location. But the entertainment is what will really make or break your wedding night! You should be having a look at things such as wedding bands from Alive Network, to see what you could get for your special day.
You want to find a band that’s going to have everyone up off of their seat, dancing around, and getting a little bit tipsy to the music. The last thing you want to have to deal with is an after party where no one is actually partying! You could also think about funky things, such as having a magician walking around, actors or anything else you can think of that will help to keep the fun in the party.
The Finer Details
The finer details are really what no one else will remember, but they will mean the most to you. It’s things like how you’re going to get to and from the wedding, and ensuring it’s really fancy!
You could go down the horse and carriage route if you wanted to be really extra. You also need to think about the cake you want. There are some absolutely beautiful wedding cake designs and flavours that you can explore! Just make sure you’re really exploring the finer details of your wedding, so that you can look back and know that everything was perfect for your special day.
You also have to think about what you want to do after the wedding in terms of the honeymoon. This is a finer detail for you, because we know that the wedding ceremony and afterparty will shadow the plans for the honeymoon, but it’s definitely one of the most important parts!
This is a collaborative post