Eggnog Cookies – Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes
Welcome to day 2 of my Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes. Today’s recipe is for Eggnog Cookies.
I have to say that I’ve never tried traditional eggnog. We always have snowball drinks at Christmas which is made from Advocaat but I think Advocaat is different to traditional eggnog.
I really want to try making proper eggnog this year and I found a recipe on the Jamie Oliver site that I’m going to make, to accompany these eggnog cookies 🙂
Tomorrow’s recipe is for Spiced Rum Cookies.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 175g caster sugar
- 6 tbsp rum or 2 tsp rum extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- 150g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 280g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 175g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3.
- Grease 2 baking sheets.
- To make the eggnog mixture, beat together the egg, 25g of the caster sugar, rum and milk until frothy then set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the rest of the caster sugar and 140g of the butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and the egg yolks until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and 1/2 tsp of nutmeg into the mixture and beat in 100ml of the eggnog mixture until just combined.
- Place heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture on the prepared baking sheets, spaced well apart. Flatten slightly with damp fingers and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies turn golden.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cool, beat together the icing sugar, remaining butter and the remaining eggnog mixture to make a soft, spreadable icing. Ice the cookies and sprinkle with a little nutmeg on top.
- Leave to set for a few hours.
For more recipes on Shell Louise, click here