Date and Lemon Spirals – Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes
Welcome to day 14 of my Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes. Today’s recipe is for Date and Lemon Spirals.
Tomorrow’s recipe is for Cinnamon Stars.
Date and Lemon Spirals
- 225g softened butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 280g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 280g dried dates, stoned and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp clear lemon blossom honey
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Put the butter and 140g of the sugar into a bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon, then beat in the egg yolk and lemon extract.
- Sift together the flour and salt dough into the mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. If the dough feels too sticky, work a little more flour into it until it doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the dates, honey, lemon juice and lemon rind in a saucepan and stir in 125ml of water. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, then lower the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool, then chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the cinnamon and remaining sugar in a bowl. Unwrap the dough and roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper into a 30cm square.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the dough and roll lightly with the rolling pin. Spread the date mixture evenly over the dough, then roll up like a swiss roll.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Unwrap the roll and cut into thin slices with a sharp serrated knife. Put them on the prepared baking sheets, spaced well apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
For more recipes on Shell Louise, click here