Chequerboard Cookies – Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes
Welcome to day 4 of my Countdown To Christmas Cookie Recipes. Today’s recipe is for Chequerboard Cookies. This recipe makes a ginger and orange dough and a chocolate dough which are then combined to create a delicious crumbly chequerboard cookie 🙂
Tomorrow’s recipe is for Santa Sugar Cookies.
- 225g butter softened
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 280g plain flour
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour and salt and stir into the butter, sugar and egg yolk mixture until combined.
- Divide the dough in half. Add the ginger and orange rind to one half and mix well. Shape the dough into a log 15cm long.
- Flatten the sides and top to square off the log to 5cm high.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Sift the cocoa into the other half of the dough and mix well. Shape the dough as before and make sure it’s the same size. Wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Unwrap the two doughs and cut each log lengthways into three strips.
- Brush the strips with egg white and stack them in threes, alternating the colours so they are the same shape as the original logs.
- Wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Unwrap the logs and cut into slices with a sharp serrated knife then place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets, spaced well apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until firm.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes on the baking trays before moving to wire racks to cool completely.
For more recipes on Shell Louise, click here