Updated Stairs Project – Before and After

Updated Stairs

I took ‘before’ photos of my stairs last July because I didn’t like the carpet and wanted to do something fun instead. I scoured Pinterest and found and some wonderful ways to decorate stairs. We decided to paint the steps and wallpaper the risers.

We finally bought the wallpaper and paint last month and Ant’s done the first set of stairs. The middle landing and the stairs round the corner are still to be done but so far, I LOVE it!

It’s taken a few weeks to get these first ones done because obviously, we still have to get upstairs so Ant’s been doing alternate steps and putting masking tape on the ones we can step on.
As expected, people (not naming names but not just the kids and not me!) forgot a few times resulting in footprints in the wet paint that had to dry before they could be sanded and repainted!

Before

Updated stairs project - Carpeted stairs

After

Updated stairs project - painted and wallpapered stairs

Updated stairs project - painted and wallpapered stairs

It’s so much nicer than the carpet. I don’t have to lug a hoover up each step when they need cleaning. I can now sweep them with a brush and dustpan and give them a wipe with a damp cloth 🙂

1. Kara Guppy 16th May 2016 at 8:51 pm

They look fabulous. We have to have carpet as the kids thunder up and down the stairs and we live in a terrace

2. Charly Dove 9th May 2016 at 7:30 pm

Oh that looks fab Michelle, well done. We have carpeted stairs where we are now but didn’t in our place in London we were at before – so much easier to clean apart from anything else. And quicker too!

3. Steph Curtis 3rd May 2016 at 10:55 am

Ooh love them, what a great idea and it looks so cheerful! 🙂

4. Fozia S 29th April 2016 at 9:55 am

Oh I love that! May have to try doing that. Looks so much better than the carpet

5. Otilia Stocks 28th April 2016 at 12:49 pm

Oh lovely! It looks really nice! And i love the messages on the steps!

6. Otilia Stocks 28th April 2016 at 12:49 pm

Oh lovely! It looks really nice! And i love the messages!

7. Clare aka Emmy's Mummy 28th April 2016 at 12:18 pm

I had a similar green carpet, hated it too lol. This looks so clean and fresh. Love it

8. Sonia 28th April 2016 at 12:07 pm

Wow that looks amazing! Much easier to maintain x

9. Emma | The Mini Mes and Me 28th April 2016 at 10:50 am

I’ve seen quite a few staircases like this recently on a DIY on a budget Facebook page. It’s a great place for inspiration and it has got me wanting to do the house up! xx

1. shelllouise 28th April 2016 at 1:56 pm

I was just told about that Facebook page yesterday. I love it, it’s my new favourite place on FB!

10. JuggleMum, Nadine Hill 28th April 2016 at 8:59 am

What a difference! The ‘after’ is so much brighter than before, well done! I bet you can’t wait to see the whole thing finished!