My kitchen woes!
Im sharing my kitchen woes with you! As you probably know, we’ve not had the best of times with this new kitchen. When Ant started to get it ready to connect our electric range cooker he noticed the wiring looked a bit dodgy. He got an electrician out who informed us that the whole kitchen needed re-wiring. It wasn’t even earthed for goodness sake!
We then had to get the lino and plywood up from the floor and remove cabinets so the electrician could do his thing.
Before the electrician could actually do his thing, though, we had to phone British Gas to get something upgraded (don’t ask me what, I have no clue, I just know it cost a lot). This meant we were going to be without a kitchen for longer than we had anticipated because we had to wait for the company British Gas put us in touch with to do their thing. We then waited for the electrician to be able to fit us in to his very busy schedule.
|We’ve moved that cupboard to a different wall; you couldn’t use the door because of the boiler!|
Still No Kitchen!
It turns out, we’ve been without a proper kitchen for the whole time we’ve had the house and it’s got to get done now because we just can’t live like this for much longer.
When we moved in, the plan was to take out the breakfast bar, hob and oven, put our range cooker in, wallpaper, paint and unpack.
As I’ve found out, things don’t always go to plan!
Ant got the corner unit put back in and the counter which gave us a bit more space to move and he also got the washer and dryer in and a counter over the top so I was able to unpack a few boxes which gave us breathing room in the living room.
I started taking the tiles off yesterday and panicked a bit when the wall underneath started coming off in big chunks with the tiles.
I Instagrammed a photo of the door frame where I’d been working and said I should have Googled, ‘how to remove wall tiles’ before starting but when I did go and Google how to remove tiles, it seems there’s no other way to do it and it’s common to have to re-plaster after removing tiles 🙁
So I carried on doing what I was doing and I’ve now got a kitchen that looks like this…
|Yes, I do live next door to a builder and no, our budget won’t stretch to hiring him, even though I’m sure his prices are very reasonable!|
I don’t think a tub of Polyfiller is going to be enough to fix it this time!
You’d think after seeing those photos I’d be panicking a little, or a lot, wouldn’t you? Surprisingly, I’m quite calm and the reason for this is because I’m totally refusing to think about it anymore!
It’s got to be fixed and re-tiled now before I can do any wallpapering so tonight I’ll crack on with glossing the woodwork and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that we have enough in the budget to actually go and buy the tiles!
New Kitchen Design
We’ve decided to go to B&Q and get them to design a new kitchen for us so we can get an idea of the amount we’ll need to save to get rid of these old units.
I was going to paint them but the cupboard paint and cabinet paint sprayers are not in the budget so we’ve decided to live with them like this until we get the new kitchen.
We’re most probably going to fit it ourselves because it’ll save a lot of money and Ant can turn his hand to anything so hopefully, we’ll have a new kitchen sometime next year 🙂