My kitchen woes!

Im sharing my kitchen woes with you! As you probably know, we’ve not had the best of times with this new kitchen. When Ant started to get it ready to connect our electric range cooker he noticed the wiring looked a bit dodgy. He got an electrician out who informed us that the whole kitchen needed re-wiring. It wasn’t even earthed for goodness sake!

Kitchen Woes

We then had to get the lino and plywood up from the floor and remove cabinets so the electrician could do his thing.
Before the electrician could actually do his thing, though, we had to phone British Gas to get something upgraded (don’t ask me what, I have no clue, I just know it cost a lot). This meant we were going to be without a kitchen for longer than we had anticipated because we had to wait for the company British Gas put us in touch with to do their thing. We then waited for the electrician to be able to fit us in to his very busy schedule.

Kitchen woes - our kitchen at the moment - cupboards removed, no flooring and basically very messy!
We’ve moved that cupboard to a different wall; you couldn’t use the door because of the boiler!

Still No Kitchen!

It turns out, we’ve been without a proper kitchen for the whole time we’ve had the house and it’s got to get done now because we just can’t live like this for much longer.
When we moved in, the plan was to take out the breakfast bar, hob and oven, put our range cooker in, wallpaper, paint and unpack.
As I’ve found out, things don’t always go to plan!

Ant got the corner unit put back in and the counter which gave us a bit more space to move and he also got the washer and dryer in and a counter over the top so I was able to unpack a few boxes which gave us breathing room in the living room.

Removing Tiles

I started taking the tiles off yesterday and panicked a bit when the wall underneath started coming off in big chunks with the tiles.
I Instagrammed a photo of the door frame where I’d been working and said I should have Googled, ‘how to remove wall tiles’ before starting but when I did go and Google how to remove tiles, it seems there’s no other way to do it and it’s common to have to re-plaster after removing tiles 🙁

Kitchen woes - took the tiles off and the plaster came off with them

So I carried on doing what I was doing and I’ve now got a kitchen that looks like this…

Kitchen woes - the cupboard is back but the walls need plastering

Kitchen woes - big chunks of plaster have come off the wall

Kitchen woes - I made a right mess of the window sill when I took the tiles off!
Yes, I do live next door to a builder and no, our budget won’t stretch to hiring him, even though I’m sure his prices are very reasonable!

I don’t think a tub of Polyfiller is going to be enough to fix it this time!

Not Panicking!

You’d think after seeing those photos I’d be panicking a little, or a lot, wouldn’t you? Surprisingly, I’m quite calm and the reason for this is because I’m totally refusing to think about it anymore!

It’s got to be fixed and re-tiled now before I can do any wallpapering so tonight I’ll crack on with glossing the woodwork and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that we have enough in the budget to actually go and buy the tiles!

New Kitchen Design

We’ve decided to go to B&Q and get them to design a new kitchen for us so we can get an idea of the amount we’ll need to save to get rid of these old units.
I was going to paint them but the cupboard paint and cabinet paint sprayers are not in the budget so we’ve decided to live with them like this until we get the new kitchen.
We’re most probably going to fit it ourselves because it’ll save a lot of money and Ant can turn his hand to anything so hopefully, we’ll have a new kitchen sometime next year 🙂

1. Aisha from expatlog 3rd March 2014 at 2:36 pm

Goodness! Poor you! I have no idea how you must be managing the needs of such a large family from such an ill-equipped kitchen. I hope you get some kind of normality restored soon and if you need a builder and are anywhere between St Albans and Luton in Herts try Ashworths. They may not be the cheapest, but they work to a high standard. They did our renovation and I'd go with them again in a heartbeat. Good luck.

2. rachel @ activities4kidz 2nd March 2014 at 11:01 pm

Ah what a nightmare!!! I hate renting but I thank god we aren't responsible for this sort of thing. Hope it all gets finished for you soon x

3. Agata Pokutycka 2nd March 2014 at 10:30 pm

We re-painted our doors few tears back, I think it was just over £100 for all mats inc black spray paint for handles + a lot of hours of work… but final effect was great and we are very pleased we took this road… still old kitchen but looks so much fresher and modern

4. Kizzy 2nd March 2014 at 8:26 am

Nothing worse than being without a kitchen. hope it gets sorted soon

5. SJ Thurley 1st March 2014 at 1:50 pm

Think how lovely it will look when its done, make sure you post the final result x

6. Suzanne W 1st March 2014 at 1:15 pm

You are brave! I suppose keep focusing on what it WILL look like – you've got to start somewhere!

7. Kara Guppy 1st March 2014 at 6:52 am

I feel your pain – we had our kitchen done three years ago and it was a nightmare as we had to rewire too. Hubby works for Wren (kitchens) and I now wish we had got one from there and want to change but the thought of doing it again fills me with horror

8. Vai Chin 28th February 2014 at 11:14 pm

I do hope you get everything sorted and looking just the way you want it to.

9. Charlotte 28th February 2014 at 11:08 pm

Get a quote from b&q but also have a look around at other places, ikea have amazing kitchens with really good build quality, a guarantee of 25 years, kitchen planners and often do deals like £100 voucher for every £1000 you spend. (I only know all this because I've been researching getting a new kitchen for about 2 years but can't afford it! Ikea have come up top every time) good luck with it all! x

10. Orli D 28th February 2014 at 10:59 pm

Good luck! I think you are absolutely right to not panic, just breathe deeply and take it one day at a time 🙂 I myself, hate DIY jobs, but I am sure you'll do a fab job and have a magnificent kitchen!

11. Kirsty Phillipson-Lowe 28th February 2014 at 10:26 pm

I couldn't function without my kitchen! But just keep remembering how gorgeous it will look when its all done!

12. Mrs Shilts 28th February 2014 at 10:03 pm

We had the exact same cupboards in our kitchen for years. We finally saved up enough to replace the kitchen two years ago and it was worth the wait x

13. Jenni 28th February 2014 at 9:46 pm

I'm so sorry about the electrics but at least once they are done you can be confident that you won't have any problems with them. We had to totally re-do our old kitchen last year on a very small budget and we managed to get all our appliances and units from ikea for £2000 (including an oven, hob and dishwasher). From my experience B&Q can be very pricey so you may be able to do it for a lot less than a quote from there. Good luck 🙂

1. shelllouise 28th February 2014 at 9:53 pm

I didn't even think of Ikea. For some reason whenever need anything DIY related we always go to B&Q first. I'm going to check out Ikea prices now….thank you Jenni 😀 xx

14. (Terry) My Journey With Candida 28th February 2014 at 8:57 pm

Oh my, you must be counting the days until your project is finished. Can't wait to see it.

15. Angela Spicer 28th February 2014 at 8:55 pm

Fingers crossed the saving goes quickly

16. fritha strickland 28th February 2014 at 8:54 pm

it will look so good when its done! x

17. You Baby Me Mummy 28th February 2014 at 7:25 pm

I'm sure you will get it all sorted! Then it will me fab x

18. anna m 28th February 2014 at 6:34 pm

Good luck getting it sorted, it will be lovely when it is all newly done!

19. Mummy of Two 28th February 2014 at 4:19 pm

I really feel for you – having a working kitchen is so important isn't it. I'm glad you aren't getting too stressed by it, it will get done and then you will have a beautiful new kitchen! Good luck 🙂

20. Sonya Cisco 28th February 2014 at 4:04 pm

Ah but one day it will be done, and it will be lovely, and all this will be but a memory!