How does your garden grow – February 27th

I’m back!!

Blimey, it’s been so long since I joined in with How Does Your Garden Grow. I’ve really missed taking part but the house move took all of my time for so long that I didn’t get time to get into the garden.

I was sad to see our old garden all empty after we removed the sheds, sunken seat, waterfall, swings, pots and arches.
It looked so bare but I saw the new tenant the other day (we both lived on the same street, she had a 2 bedroom and needed a 3 bedroom but wanted to stay on the street so it was perfect for her when we moved) and even though she hasn’t got the keys yet, she’s been in the garden making a start on turning it into her own so I don’t think it’s going to stay bare for long 🙂

So onto my new, absolutely fabulous garden!

When I saw the pictures of the garden while checking out houses on Right Move, I instantly fell in love. Ant loved this house for the second toilet and the garage and I loved it for the second toilet and the garden (the second toilet was very important to both of us because it was a nightmare having only one bathroom and 5 people!).
We looked at a lot of houses, obviously, but this was the first one we saw, the one we both instantly loved and the one we then measured all the other houses against.

I’m itching to get out in this garden and get it all tidied and ready for spring but I have so much still to do in the house that has to take priority.

Anyway, enough gassing, (gassing = talking for those not from Derbyshire!) here’s my new garden 🙂

View from the patio door. Please excuse the big white unit. It’ll be going in one of the sheds or the garage when we get around to making space in one of them!

Please also excuse the huge pile of wood. It needs sorting into good and bad wood then storing in the garage or shed when we get around to making space in one of them!

Happy to see my spring bu;bs are coming through. They totally lift my mood when I start to get down about the amount of work still to do in the house.

All my pots need sorting and homes finding for them.

The kids love this massive lawn! We only had a tiny one on the last garden and they were always complaining about not having much room to play because I’d taken up all the space with flowers. They can’t complain now!

This is the vegetable garden at the top of the lawn area. I don’t think I’ll be planting veg this year because I’m going to be too busy to prepare the area the but next year it will be full steam ahead on the veg growing! I plan to serve all homegrown veg for our Christmas dinner next year!

The greenhouse is being used for storage at the moment and it’s probably going to stay that way for a while longer!
The shed behind it is going to be for my garden stuff. It already has a potting bench 🙂

This shed is going to be for the bikes and toys but it needs some work doing first because the roof is leaking.

Behind the greenhouse is more room for vegetable growing 🙂

I was so excited to see this lupin! I’d planted three a few years ago in our other garden and something ate them every year before they got chance to get much bigger than this. I gave up when they didn’t come back last year and decided lupins weren’t meant to be in our garden! My fingers are now well and truly crossed that this one gets to flower!

Don’t you just love the sun shining on these primroses? 🙂

Seeing the shining sun and raindrops on these lovely primroses makes for a great start to the day!

This is one of my pots that I did last year for winter colour but these cyclamen didn’t last long and I thought they’d died. Obviously not 🙂

Yay daffodils. Enough said!

Remember when I was so excited about getting a hydrangea last year? Well now I have this one which is still doing great and 2 more in the garden! I’m so excited to see the colours of the flowers 🙂

It seems all the spring bulbs I planted worked and are starting to poke through 🙂

My favourite plant, the one that makes me happy every year when it starts to grow after its winter rest has to be my Bleeding Heart. I love this plant. It’s so easy to grow and the flowers are wonderful. I now have the problem of finding a shady spot in this garden because it’s south facing. It has the sun on it all day and bleeding heart plants like shade.

Spring is nearly here 🙂

We bought some fruit trees when we first got the house but I’m still trying to figure out where to plant them! I’ve planted three, just these 2 left and the cardboard sleeves got wet and blew round the garden so I have no idea which tree is which! We bought peach, pear, cherry and plum I think.

don’t you just love the apple tree in the lawn? I do and really can’t wait for our first apples! I have visions of the girls sitting under it in the summer, playing dolls or reading, using the branches to shade them from the sun 🙂

This is one of the 2 hydrangeas I mentioned earlier. It’s full of buds all starting to open 🙂

Sorry for the amount of photos, it’s been a long time and there’s a lot to show in my new garden!

I’m linking up with the lovely Annie from Mammasaurus 🙂

1. Patio Pavers From The Range - Garden Update - Shell Louise 16th April 2019 at 8:05 am

[…] It’s unrecognisable from the way it was when we moved in. […]

2. Laura-Faerie 5th March 2014 at 9:42 pm

Wow, such an impressive garden! It's soo big, there'll be lots of playing space in there as well as growing! It must be nice to see things blooming already.

It may be a work in progress but it's so a nice canvas to start from!

3. Lori | Wild and Grizzly 4th March 2014 at 12:52 am

What a lovely big garden and so cool that you have a space to grow your own vegetables.There was nothing more fun for me as a kid then helping my grandad with his veg growing. x

4. Agata Pokutycka 2nd March 2014 at 11:14 pm

Awesome garden… I am looking into summer edition of this post and all lovely home grown veggies 🙂

5. Vicky Wombwell Kuhn 2nd March 2014 at 6:12 pm

Wow – that's a garden and a half! I love seeing my spring bulbs poking through – it gives me a warm feeling inside, like spring can't be far away. 🙂

6. The Mini Mes and Me 2nd March 2014 at 1:59 pm

What a lovely and large outdoor space. Love all the daffodils already… And even the little gnome. x

7. Aly 2nd March 2014 at 12:40 pm

Oh I'm so jealous of your veg patch! I'm longing to move from our flat to a house this year.I'm looking forward to seeing what you grow.

8. Sophie at Franglaise Cooking 1st March 2014 at 3:23 pm

What an absolutely beautiful garden! And such a great size too 🙂 As we live in London we are lucky to have a garden, but it is postage stamp size sadly 🙁 Hopefully we'll be having some sunny days soon so you can get out and enjoy your lovely new garden.

9. Kizzy 1st March 2014 at 5:59 am

Looking forward to seeing your journey with the garden as well as the house. This is my plan for this year to get the garden sorted and hopefully grow some veg.

10. Vai Chin 1st March 2014 at 12:42 am

That is going to be one stunning garden come summer. Cannot wait to see more photos when it is all in bloom.

11. Little Mans Mum 28th February 2014 at 11:07 pm

Oh wow that is going to look beautiful in the summer! I haven't even ventured downstairs to ours yet, apart from to hang the washing out the other day. I really need to have a proper look and start tidying it and planting. Glad the move went well too x

12. New Mum Online 28th February 2014 at 10:29 pm

Lovely big size for kids to run around in. Plenty of room for a paddling pool and trampoline if you want them. Right on time so you can enjoy Spring Summer and Autumn in it. I know you said you won't be planting, but I bet you will still really enjoy it, great that it has a greenhouse too. Well done on moving, it must be great to have it out of the way x

13. mumblingsontheverge 28th February 2014 at 2:49 pm

Lovely.
    We only have a tiny garden but you're pics have made me realise it needs a bit of a tidy ( a lot of a tidy )

14. Amanda Walsh 28th February 2014 at 1:51 pm

Love the size of the garden it looks really big. I do love this time of year when all the new flowers start to sprout. Now the house is finished i really want to make more of an effort with my garden this year.
    I love the big apple tree in the middle of the lawn, makes a great feature.

15. Eco Gites of Lénault 28th February 2014 at 6:42 am

Starting a new garden is such fun – we are finally getting around to doing our own garden now that we have fenced if off from the ducks! And good luck with the veg garden – I actually prefer veggie gardening to flowers!

16. Mama Syder 27th February 2014 at 10:39 pm

Your garden is looking lovely already and its only Feb! Lovely photos x

17. Belle du Brighton 27th February 2014 at 10:09 pm

Very jealous of your garden. Anyones garden, in fact, as we live in a 1st floor flat!

18. 76 sunflowers 27th February 2014 at 9:39 pm

The veggie plots look great and I adore the apple tree. It will look great come Summer 🙂

19. Mums do travel 27th February 2014 at 9:36 pm

How exciting for you to have a whole new garden to play with and lovely for your children to have that lovely space.

20. Nell Heshram 27th February 2014 at 9:24 pm

What a lovely spacious garden! I'll bet you're looking forward to some beautiful apple blossom soon.

21. Gude @HodgePodgeCraft 27th February 2014 at 8:37 pm

What an enormous garden – I'm very jealous! Love your gnome – does he have a name?!

22. Kara Guppy 27th February 2014 at 8:34 pm

Thats a lovely big garden and it looks like it has survived this awful weather too. Mine currenty resembles a bog

23. Broody Me 27th February 2014 at 8:32 pm

How exciting to have a new garden to work with! #HDYGG

24. Michelle Twin Mum 27th February 2014 at 8:26 pm

Ohh it will be exciting getting it all sorted this year and that is a fab veg area once you get started. Mich x

25. Mummy of Two 27th February 2014 at 8:05 pm

That really does look like a lovely garden and great that there isn't too much work for you to have to do immediately either. I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

26. Emily @amummytoo 27th February 2014 at 6:45 pm

Lovely post – you can tell how gorgeous your garden is going to be when you've finished work on it x

27. Hannah Clementson 27th February 2014 at 6:39 pm

wow your garden is so big. I am jealous you have flowers growing already. I really must get something growing in my empty pots 🙂

28. Damson Lane 27th February 2014 at 6:17 pm

Wow, there is so much space. I would absolutely love to have a separate veg garden but we just don't have anywhere to put it so I embraced veg as parts of the floral border last year and the combination worked really well. it is so lovely to see the sun shining on all your colourful spring flowers

29. Jen Walshaw 27th February 2014 at 4:59 pm

Just look at all that potential. I would love a bigger garden

30. Jenny (Cheetahs In My Shoes) 27th February 2014 at 4:28 pm

That garden has so much potential and having one big enough to make both a play space and a useful garden space is just lovely.

31. Lil Muse Lily 27th February 2014 at 4:01 pm

congratulations on the new house and the big yard!! lots of work ahead but so much potential

32. Michelle Ordever 27th February 2014 at 3:35 pm

What a lovely big garden – I bet you can't wait for it to all come together?!

I just love seeing the flowers starting to come through as spring arrives – not much in our new garden sadly – makes me sad because our old garden would have a few things popping through the soil by now!

I recently posted Finding Dory!

33. You Baby Me Mummy 27th February 2014 at 3:28 pm

What a lovely big garden and I'm sure you will have it just as you want it soon
    x

34. Kate Thompson 27th February 2014 at 2:08 pm

What a lovely garden! It has a "bit of everything" without too much to take care of. Ours is a little "too" big, we struggle to keep on top of it. I love the back section of yours, it's almost separate. The hard work has been done, you can have fun "pimping" it now! x

35. Gemma Garner 27th February 2014 at 12:39 pm

I've got a bit of garden envy going on here. Your garden is HUGE and the fruit trees will be amazing when they start to produce fruit and you can pick it from your own garden 🙂 Lots of colour and Spring shoots, whhoopppeee! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun planning and planting this year.

36. Angela Spicer 27th February 2014 at 11:35 am

I would love that garden, huge lawn

37. rachel @ activities4kidz 27th February 2014 at 11:23 am

Beautiful garden! We moved into our (rented) property last summer and we have a lovely long narrow garden but needs lots of work, cant wait to make a start on it in the spring!