How does your garden grow? August 29th

In late spring I was cleaning the garden and I emptied a pot that I thought had contained some kind of annual.
I happened to notice that there was a bulb in the soil and then I noticed some new growth on it so I planted it in another pot with some poppy seeds I’d sown so that it at least had a chance to grow.
I had no idea what it was until last week when this gorgeous flower opened! I don’t even remember buying any dahlias but I suppose I must have done. I love this flower and I now want a flower bed full of dahlias so that’s my plan for next year 🙂

1. The Puffin Diaries 3rd September 2013 at 9:24 pm

What a wonderful surprise, I've never had dahlias but I think you might have inspired me.

2. Kathleen Scott 31st August 2013 at 11:14 am

Ohhh, Dahlias! I had forgotten how much I love them! I think I've been inspired for a new purchase.

3. Charly Dove 31st August 2013 at 8:35 am

What a beautiful Dahlia, I just love them. Gorgeous flowers. A fabulous story too 🙂

4. The Reading Residence 29th August 2013 at 1:27 pm

That is beautiful, and a lovely surprise story to go with it. You've got me wanting lots of dahlias now!

5. Glenda Gee 29th August 2013 at 9:57 am

Certainly looks pretty and a really nice colour. My dad used to grow them.

6. Gemma Garner 29th August 2013 at 9:05 am

Sounds like a good surprise 🙂 I have a new found love of Dahlias after seeing them at a festival a few weeks ago!

7. Jean (notsupermum) 29th August 2013 at 8:03 am

I planted three dahlias in my garden this year and I'm definitely getting more, they're so easy to grow and produce the most beautiful cut flowers. I love your pink one, lovely.

8. Mammasaurus 29th August 2013 at 7:15 am

Gorgeous soft colours, I too have only just awakened to dahlias after seeing photos lately. May be you had a rogue bulb from a batch of others ? Whatever happened it must have been fate – can't wait to see a whole border full next year!

Thanks for joining in again and sharing x

9. helvetiahandmade 29th August 2013 at 7:11 am

Lovely, Dahlias are so pretty

10. Jen @ Love Chic Living 29th August 2013 at 6:34 am

What a beautiful surprise! Found you from 'How does your garden grow' 🙂

11. Lil Muse Lily 29th August 2013 at 1:14 am

what a nice surprise!!! dahlias are so lovely

12. Nichola Fabfortymum 28th August 2013 at 11:21 pm

It is gorgeous Michelle, the colour is just fabulous, I love the yellow centre and then all that beautiful pink. I bet you're glad you planted it and didn't throw it away x

1. shelllouise 28th August 2013 at 11:34 pm

I really am! I'll be taking of this over winter so I can enjoy it again next year 🙂 xx