Sticky 5-Spice Gammon
Gammon is one of our favourite meats. I always get a piece bigger than we need because the kids love to have plenty of leftovers to snack on.
Another favourite flavour is 5 spice so I couldn’t wait to try bringing the two together. It was delicious 🙂
Ant did have to cook some without the five-spice, though, because Kaycee doesn’t like it (there’s always one!).
This serves 4 and is 1 syn per serving
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- Chinese five-spice powder – 2 tsp
- 4 Gammon steaks – all visible fat removed and cut into bite-sized chunks
- Red chillies – 2, deseeded and finely chopped
- Clear honey – 1 level tbsp
- Boiling chicken stock – 100ml
- Dark soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Sprinkle the five-spice powder over the gammon and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until brown at the edges.
- Add the chillies, honey, stock and soy sauce. Stir well and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the sauce is sticky and the gammon is glazed and golden.
- Serve with noodles and a speed vegetable stir fry or leave the noodles and make it an SP meal.
I wasn’t very good at the weekend. Also, we indulged in the Tesco Valentine’s meal deal last night (which was delicious!) which wasn’t SW friendly! However, I was still a bit shocked at the 5lb Gain I got when I weighed at Slimming World this morning.
I’ve vowed to lose 6lb next week so I’ve really got to knuckle down this week and keep in control.
I did try to have today as a holiday so I wouldn’t have to face the scales it but my fellow social team members wouldn’t let me get away with it! I faced my gain and have got my head in place to get rid of it again, thanks to them 🙂
Slimming World carrot, pepper and pea dhal
Carrot, Pepper & Pea Dhal
The super wonderful husband made carrot, pepper and pea dhal for our dinner last week. He served it with a big juicy steak and I really enjoyed it.
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- ground ginger – 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin – 1 tsp
- black mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
- turmeric – 1 tsp
- mild or medium curry powder – 2 tbsp
- split red lentils – 175g
- carrots peeled and cubed – 3
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- frozen peas – 200g
- small handful finely chopped coriander
- Lime wedges to serve (optional)
- Spray a lidded saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onions ans stir-fry for 4-5 minutes
- Turn the heat to low and stir in the garlic and all the spices. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes then add the lentils and 800ml of water and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Add the carrots, cover and turn the heat to low. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in the peppers then cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the peas, bring back to the boil over a high heat and stir in the coriander. This is delicious served hot with rice and a squeeze of fresh lime juice
Recipe taken from the Slimming World book Best Loved Extra Easy Recipes
February 8th – 1.5lb loss
February 8th – I pledged to lose 3lb this week. I was still happy with 1.5lb loss, especially after the couple of weeks I stuck to plan and stayed the same.
I’m happy with any loss as long as I get a loss every week!
I’ve stuck to plan all day which is a big achievement for me. I got into the habit of having a cheat day on a Wednesday but it didn’t help my losses.
I found that if I don’t have a totally on plan day on a Wednesday, I went to have a rubbish week.
If I have a good Wednesday, I have a good week so I pledged to have a good day today and to lose 3lb next week.
I’ve got my cappuccino and Kit Kat to have for supper and that’ll be my syns used up.
Deluxe Mac ‘N’ Cheese
Deluxe Mac ‘n’ Cheese from Slimming World Best Love Extra Easy Recipe Book
Ant and I have been very busy this past week. We’re redecorating our downstairs shower room so things have been a bit hectic around here. Kaycee (11) offered to cook dinner for everyone yesterday because it was getting late and we were still busy.
She used the Slimming World Deluxe Mac ‘N’ Cheese recipe from the ‘Best Loved Extra Easy’ recipe book and served it with salad and sausages. You can get syn free sausages from Iceland but I had low-fat Tesco ones for 1 syn each.
It was delicious :o)
Here’s the recipe for anyone who wants to give it a go.
3 syns per serving
Dried macaroni – 400g
Low-calorie cooking spray
Leeks sliced – 2 small or 1 large
Courgettes sliced – 2
Mushrooms sliced – 125g
For the sauce
Cornflour – 2 level tbsp
Skimmed milk – 250ml
Fat-free natural fromage frais – 150g
Mustard powder – 1 tsp
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
40g reduced fat Cheddar-style cheese*
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / Gas 4
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. When cooked, set aside until needed.
- Spray a large non-stick pan with low-calorie cooking spray and cook the leeks, courgettes and mushrooms over a low heat for 8-10 minutes or until softened.
- To make the sauce, blend the cornflour with a little of the milk and set aside. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil then stir in the cornflour mixture, stirring continuously. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the mustard powder and pinch of nutmeg into the fromage frais then add this mixture to the sauce, beating with a wooden spoon. Stir in most of the cheese.
- Drain the pasta and tip it into an oven proof dish. Add the vegetables and sauce** and mix well. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on the top and bake for 20-30 minutes or until crisp and golden.
*We used more cheese because there’s only me actually following Slimming World in our family. I counted the cheese on my portion as my healthy extra and everyone else got a cheesier dish :o)
**The original recipe says to pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle the cheese on then bake. We decided to mix it through the pasta and vegetables. We prefer it this way.
Surprise 1lb loss
I didn’t have a very good week so I was happy with my surprise 1lb loss.
I’ve pledged to lose 3lb next week. I want to get my awards back and I need to lose half a stone to get my 7 stone award.
We had a taster at our group today to celebrate the couple of the year. Someone made a really lovely banana cheesecake and I forgot to pick up the recipe. I’ll have to ask the lady for it next week. It didn’t have a biscuit base so wasn’t like having proper cheesecake but it will be lovely just to have in the fridge for a low syn sweet treat.
Slow Cooked BBQ Gammon
We’re all fans of gammon and BBQ sauce in this house. Everyone was quite excited when we said we were going to make a slow cooked BBQ gammon for dinner.
This is very similar to the BBQ pulled pork recipe I posted last week. We love using the slow cooker at this time of year.
It’s syn free on Extra Easy.
- 1.2kg boneless gammon joint, all fat removed
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 peppers (green, yellow and red), diced
- 1 carton of passata
- tomato puree – 4 tbsp
- ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
- ground ginger – 1 tsp
- mustard powder – tsp
- smoked paprika – 2 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce – 6 tbsp
- balsamic vinegar – 6 tbsp
- soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- granulated sweetener – 2 tbsp
- Place the gammon in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and boil for 12 minutes.
- Tip the water away then repeat twice more with fresh water. This removes the salt from the gammon.
- Place the chopped onions and peppers in the bottom of the slow cooker then put the gammon on top of the vegetables.
- In a jug, mix together all the other ingredients then pour them over the gammon.
- Cook on medium for 5-6 hours.
- Serve with your favourite speed vegetables.
Slimmer of the Month
It was a nice surprise to get the Slimmer of the Month award today at my weekly weigh in. I lost 1lb today which brought my total this month to 10.5lb loss.
I’ve been a bit disappointed this month. I’ve stayed the same twice and lost a pound today after trying really hard all month but I’m in control which is the main thing. I haven’t let it get me down too much because I didn’t want to start emotionally eating.
I’ve planned the dinners for the week ahead and I’m going to start using my syns earlier in the day instead of saving them for the evening. I don’t think eating chocolate before bed is doing me any good!
BBQ Pulled Pork
I love pulled pork, it’s one of my favourites. I was really happy that Slimming World has a syn free version 🙂
Syn free on Extra Easy
- 1.5-2kg pork shoulder, all fat removed
- 5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 500g passata
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp sweetener
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the passata, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, mustard powder, sweetener, garlic and seasoning in a saucepan. Heat and simmer for around 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Sear all sides of the meat in a hot frying pan then transfer to the slow cooker. Pour over the sauce and cook on low for 8-12 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and allow to rest on a chopping board for at least 15 minutes. Shred the meat using 2 forks and serve, drizzled with the sauce, with a selection of your favourite speed vegetables.
Again, I’ve stayed the same this week. I’ve logged everything, done everything I should have done and I still haven’t lost any more weight. I decided to pick up an SAS log from my Slimming World consultant.
It stands for Slimmers Against Sabotage and it’s a tool to help you see where you could be going wrong. I’ve been doing Slimming World for over 4 years now and I know how to food optimise but sometimes we all just need a little extra help.
I’m going to give it my all again this week to get a loss. My head is still in the right place. I haven’t been picking at food. I’ve been stopping myself eating things without synning them and I’ve been weighing food that needs it.
Wish me luck. Again!