#ThankGoodness for Dolmio
We try to eat our evening meal around 6 pm. On a Wednesday, though, Ella has Cubs and has to be there for 5.45 pm. We have to be able to cook something that doesn’t take long, to give her time to eat and then get ready.
We’re very conscious of making sure the kids get their 5 a day. Pasta dishes are great for adding loads of healthy veg without the kids knowing what’s in it!
Ant now does the majority of cooking in our house. He likes to cook from scratch, but even he agreed that the Chicken and Bacon pasta bake he made, with Dolmio Original Bolognese Sauce, was absolutely delicious.
Kaycee has been complaining that we’ve had spaghetti bolognese too often, just lately, so we decided to use the bolognese sauce with chicken and bacon instead of minced beef.
I have to say, I would never complain about having spaghetti bolognese too often because I don’t think it’s possible! I have a soft spot for Dolmio sauces because I craved Dolmio spicy bolognese throughout my pregnancy, with Kaycee. Everyone got fed up with me wanting it 3-4 times a week! I’d have had it every night if they’d let me! Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find the spicy one anymore 🙁
Here’s our recipe for Chicken and Bacon Pasta Bake with Cheese.
- 150g smoked bacon roughly chopped
- 400g chicken breast chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 large courgette chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 bell pepper de-seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 aubergine chopped into cubes
- 150g mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 500g jar Dolmio Original
- 200g pasta shapes
- 20ml cooking oil
- 100g Parmigiano Reggiano shavings
- 150g mild cheddar
- Boil pasta as per packet instructions. Once cooked, drain, rinse and set aside
- In a large pan warm the oil then cook the onions and garlic over a medium heat until soft
- Add chicken and stir fry for 5 minutes or until it's cooked on the outside
- Add bacon and continue to stir fry for 3 minutes or until bacon is cooked
- Stir in mushrooms and peppers and cover for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have cooked down
- Stir in courgette and aubergine followed by the Dolmio sauce
- Stir really well to make sure everything is coated in the sauce
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat and gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until courgette is soft
- Heat the oven to 200°c/ 180°c fan/ Gas 6
- Stir the pasta in to the sauce and mix well
- Transfer to a large oven proof dish and grate the mild cheddar all over
- Arrange the Parmigiano Reggiano shavings over the cheddar
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbling
We doubled up the recipe as we had Kaycee’s friend for dinner and we also gave a portion to my father in law and one to my mother in law.
Ant makes fresh bread every day and for a change, he made baguettes which worked out well because he was able to make some garlic bread. The kids said he should have made more as he only made half a stick and they wanted more than 2 slices each!
It was enjoyed by everyone 🙂 I asked them which part they liked best. Here’s what they said:
The melted cheese was the best bit. It was delicious.
It was all delicious but the best part was the sauce.
The smoky bacon combined with the sauce brought all the ingredients together in a really rich, mmmmm! I didn’t have to worry about adding herbs and seasoning because the sauce took care of all that. It was a pleasure to cook with.