Meatzza – A Slimming World Recipe
Ant made this meatzza using the recipe in the Slimming World Free Food Feasts cookbook. The amounts given for the topping can easily be halved as there were lots of the vegetables and sauce leftover. These were used in other meals so they didn’t go to waste but just be aware if you make this, you may not need as much as it states.
We’re going to make it again and work out the quantities we need for our family. Everyone really enjoyed it. We were going to have it with chips and beans but everyone agreed it was filling enough to have it on its own 🙂
I had it cold a few days later and it was just as nice as when it’s hot.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g passata with basil
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- a pinch of sweetener
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (we left these out because Ella doesn't like them!)
- 25g finely chopped fresh basil plus leaves to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g low fat natural cottage cheese
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- For the Base
- 500g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 250g lean pork mince (5% fat or less)
- 2 tsp dreid Italian herb mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°/Gas 5
- Put the garlic, onion, passata, tomato puree, sweetener and chilli flakes in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Turn the heat down to medium, stir in the basil, season to taste and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, live a heavy based 25cm pizza tin with non-stick baking parchment. Put all the ingredientsfor the base into a large bowl, season to taste and mix well using your fingers.
- Press the mixture into the prepared tin to make a flat round base and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the base from the oven and drain off any liquid. Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7.
- Spread the passata mixture over the base, add dollops of cottage cheese and scatter over the mushrooms and peppers.
- Return the pizza to the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes r untilt he topping is lightly browned and bubbling. Scatter over the basil leaves, cut into wedges and serve.
If you prefer proper cheese, like we all do, you can use your Healthy Extra portion of grated cheese 🙂