Deluxe Mac ‘N’ Cheese Slimming World Recipe
Deluxe Mac ‘N’ Cheese
Ant and I have been very busy this past week. We’re redecorating our downstairs shower room so things have been a bit hectic around here. Kaycee (11) offered to cook dinner for everyone yesterday because it was getting late and we were still busy.
She used the Slimming World Deluxe Mac ‘N’ Cheese recipe from the ‘Best Loved Extra Easy’ recipe book and served it with salad and sausages. You can get syn free sausages from Iceland but I had low-fat Tesco ones for 1 syn each.
It was delicious :o)
Here’s the recipe for anyone who wants to give it a go.
3 syns per serving
Dried macaroni – 400g
Low-calorie cooking spray
Leeks sliced – 2 small or 1 large
Courgettes sliced – 2
Mushrooms sliced – 125g
For the sauce
Cornflour – 2 level tbsp
Skimmed milk – 250ml
Fat-free natural fromage frais – 150g
Mustard powder – 1 tsp
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
40g reduced fat Cheddar-style cheese*
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / Gas 4
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. When cooked, set aside until needed.
- Spray a large non-stick pan with low-calorie cooking spray and cook the leeks, courgettes and mushrooms over a low heat for 8-10 minutes or until softened.
- To make the sauce, blend the cornflour with a little of the milk and set aside. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil then stir in the cornflour mixture, stirring continuously. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the mustard powder and pinch of nutmeg into the fromage frais then add this mixture to the sauce, beating with a wooden spoon. Stir in most of the cheese.
- Drain the pasta and tip it into an oven proof dish. Add the vegetables and sauce** and mix well. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on the top and bake for 20-30 minutes or until crisp and golden.
*We used more cheese because there’s only me actually following Slimming World in our family. I counted the cheese on my portion as my healthy extra and everyone else got a cheesier dish :o)
**The original recipe says to pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle the cheese on then bake. We decided to mix it through the pasta and vegetables. We prefer it this way.