Carrot, Pepper & Pea Dhal
The super wonderful husband made carrot, pepper and pea dhal for our dinner last week. He served it with a big juicy steak and I really enjoyed it.
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- ground ginger – 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin – 1 tsp
- black mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
- turmeric – 1 tsp
- mild or medium curry powder – 2 tbsp
- split red lentils – 175g
- carrots peeled and cubed – 3
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- frozen peas – 200g
- small handful finely chopped coriander
- Lime wedges to serve (optional)
- Spray a lidded saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onions ans stir-fry for 4-5 minutes
- Turn the heat to low and stir in the garlic and all the spices. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes then add the lentils and 800ml of water and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Add the carrots, cover and turn the heat to low. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in the peppers then cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the peas, bring back to the boil over a high heat and stir in the coriander. This is delicious served hot with rice and a squeeze of fresh lime juice
Recipe taken from the Slimming World book Best Loved Extra Easy Recipes