Homity Pie & Beef Casserole
It’s turned chilly, dull and drizzly here in Lincoln today. I’m yearning for some comfort food. Rather than spend the day in the garden, which was my original intention I’ve decided to shut myself in the nice warm house, get dinner prepared early, homity pie and beef casserole, and then enjoy the peace and quiet until it’s shattered at 3.30pm when the girls get home!
Slimming World Homity Pie
It’s free on Extra Easy and Green as long as you’re using the cheese as a healthy extra choice.
Low calorie cooking spray
340g peeled and cubed potatoes
225g onions peeled and sliced
225g leeks, sliced
200g frozen peas
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Handful of fresh parsley
Handful of fresh thyme
2 eggs, lightly beaten
85ml vegetable stock
160g reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7. Spray a medium sized oven proof dish with low cal cooking spray.
- Boil potatoes until tender, drain then mash and set aside until needed.
- Stir fry onions, leeks and peas using low fat cooking spray until vegetables have softened.
- Add mash, garlic, thyme, parsley, eggs, stock and half the cheese. Season and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture in to the prepared oven proof dish and sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Heat a large pan and spray with fry light. Fry shallots/onions until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Slice carrots and place in the pan with beef, tomato puree, bouquet garni and 1.5 pints of water.
- Cover and simmer for 1 and a half hours.
- Halve the mushrooms and add to the pan with the shallots/sliced onions and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Add gravy granules, salt and pepper and stir until thickened.